Norman Blake The Hobo's Last Ride
- Released: August 20, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Shanachie
- 1.Democratic Donkey, The (Is in His Stall Again)
- 2.Tell Mother I'll Meet Her
- 3.Forked Deer
- 4.The Hobo's Last Ride
- 6.Leaving Home
- 7.Home of the Soul
- 8.Midnight, the Unconquered Outlaw
- 9.The Old Grey Mare Came Tearin' Out of the Wilderness
- 10.I Know My Name Is There
- 11.Starving to Death on the Government Claim
- 12.Old Shady Bothreen
- 13.Tying a Knot in the Devil's Tail
- 14.Angel Gabriel
- 15.The Two Little Orphans
- 16.Memories That Never Die
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
THE HOBO'S LAST RIDE was nominated for a 1997 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album.
Personnel: Norman Blake (vocals, guitar, slide guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, viola); Nancy Blake (vocals, guitar, mandolin, cello).
Recording information: Cedar House Studios, Arrington, TN.
Photographers: Nancy Blake; Norman Blake.
Unknown Contributor Role: Nancy Blake.
One could think of this as the Blakes' answer to Ry Cooder's BOOMER'S STORY. On THE HOBO'S LAST RIDE Norman and Nancy provide a look into an earlier American era of hard times and simple faith via a collection of once-topical songs and gospel tunes. As good topical tunes will, "The Democratic Donkey" and "Starving to Death on a Government Claim" use humor to make their point, though the specific politics of the F.D.R. era which they address are a bit obscure at this point.
There's some fine picking amidst the midtempo songstering, but this is not necessarily the record to get if you're new to the work of Norman Blake--try LIGHTHOUSE ON THE SHORE or BLAKE AND RICE as an introduction instead. The Blakes do scatter a few instrumentals throughout, notably the original mandolin tune "Thebes," and "Home of the Soul" and "Old Shady Bothreen," both of which feature Nancy's evocative use of the cello.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE