Norman Blake Back Home in Sulphur Springs [Norman & Nancy Blake]
12 copies available
|You Save:||$1.60 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 23, 2005
- Label: Western Jubilee
Uncut - p.1063 stars out of 5 - "These 14 songs - mostly traditional - are weathered by experience, the gentle roll of dobro and guitar given addled sparkle by mandolin and fiddle."
- 1.More Good Women Gone Wrong
- 2.Columbus Stockade Blues
- 3.He's Coming to Us Dead
- 4.The Girl I Left in Sunny Tennessee
- 5.We Parted by the Riverside
- 6.Ella Ree
- 7.Happy Little Home in Arkansas
- 8.Back Home in Sulphur Springs
- 9.The Mermaid
- 10.Take Me Home Poor Julia
- 11.Seaboard Airline Rag
- 12.Star Spangled Banner
- 13.The Empress of Ireland
- 14.Katy Cline
Nancy Blake/Norman & Nancy Blake/Norman Blake: Norman Blake (vocals, guitars, dobro, mandolin, fiddle); Nancy Blake (vocals, guitars, mandolin, cello).
Norman and Nancy Blake return to their roots on Back Home in Sulphur Springs, recalling Norman Blake's first album in 1972, Home in Sulphur Springs. Not that the couple ever strayed from their roots, but call it a spiritual homecoming. The main difference is that Norman Blake is joined by Nancy Blake this time, and that this album actually has a song on it that refers to Sulphur Springs. The Blakes' sound and production is simple and straightforward, the perfect approach for old-timey favorites like "Columbus Stockade Blues" and "More Good Women Gone Wrong." Between the two of them, the Blakes play guitar, fiddle, mandolin, dobro, and cello, allowing for a great deal of elasticity in arrangements. Norman Blake sings lead while Nancy Blake adds her harmony to the choruses of songs like "The Girl I Left in Sunny Tennessee" and "Happy Little Home in Arkansas." The joy of Back Home in Sulphur Springs, as with all of the Blakes' solo and joint projects, is their off-the-cuff, non-pretentious manner. No, they're not the latest, hot string band who work hard to prove their authenticity. Norman and Nancy Blake just do what they do, and one imagines that the couple's live performances aren't a heck of a lot different than the music on Back Home in Sulphur Springs. For fans and anyone who wants to hear neo- old-timey music done right, Back Home in Sulphur Springs is the real deal. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 LABOR DAY
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$16.98 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE