Bad Livers Dust on the Bible
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 9, 1999
- Label: Quarter Stick
CMJ - 2/1/99, pp.27-28"...this essential document is one of the rootsiest records of its kind ever released, The Bad Livers' undeniable fervor and enthusiasm here might make you want to testify."
Dirty Linen - 6-7/99, p.82"...It's an honest, unaffected, rough-around-the-edges collection of standards....earnest, no-frills gospel, presented with a friendly rhythmic sway."
- 1.Workin' on a Building
- 2.Farther Along
- 3.I'm Using My Bible For a Roadmap
- 4.Gathering Flowers
- 5.I Saw The Light / Will The Circle Be Unbroken / I'll Fly Away
- 6.Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
- 7.Precious Memories
- 8.Crying Holy Unto the Lord
- 9.Jesus Is on the Mainline
- 10.Further Along
- 11.How Dark My Shadow's Grown - (CD only)
Bad Livers: Danny Barnes (vocals, banjo); Ralph White, Mark Rubin.
Includes liner notes by Danny Barnes.
Liner Note Author: Danny Barnes.
Recording information: 11/19/1991-12/08/1991.
Photographer: Mark Rubin .
Unknown Contributor Role: Ralph White.
Originally available exclusively on cassette at Bad Livers live shows, this collection of 11 deeply traditional old-timey and bluegrass gospel songs shows a reverential side to the band's usually slightly goofy twang-a-billy punk folk style. Relying heavily on songs made known by the Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe, and other traditional bluegrass spirituals, songs like "I'm Using My Bible for a Roadmap" and "Jesus on the Mainline" are delivered so faithfully the music barely hints at their creativity or sense of humor. That is, unless you happen to know that bassist Mark Rubin is Jewish and that banjo player Danny Barnes grew up in the Church of Christ, which forbids instrumental music in its worship services. Although it contains what may be the only recording of "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning" with a tuba solo, the rest of Dust on the Bible should appeal to traditional folk aficionados, and for fans of Bad Livers' usual bizarro cowpunk, this certainly presents another facet of the band. ~ Zac Johnson
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE