Dave Alvin Ashgrove
16 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.72 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.26 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 15, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Yep Roc Records
Uncut - p.1104 stars out of 5 - "Ashgrove is exquisitely tender beneath the muscle....As an understated study in mortality, it's a sawdust-smothered joy."
Dirty Linen - p.48"Put simply, ASHGROVE is a masterpiece that displays the full range and depth of Dave Alvin's writing, singing, and playing."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.884 stars out of 5 - "Alvin is adding to the great tradition he studied with such devotion."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Dave Alvin (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Dave Alvin (vocals); Greg Leisz (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, slide guitar, steel guitar, background vocals); David Piltch (acoustic bass, double bass); Bob Glaub (electric bass, bass guitar); Chris Gaffney (background vocals); Patrick Warren (keyboards); Don Heffington (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixers: Greg Leisz; Mark Linett.
Recording information: Winslow Court Studio, Hollywood, CA; Your Place Or Mine Recording, Glendale, CA.
Photographer: Issa Sharp.
A gap of six years separates ASHGROVE from Dave Alvin's last batch of new songs, 1998's BLACK JACK DAVID (a live album and a selection of traditional songs came in between), and it sounds like he benefited from the break. As always, the consummate roots-rocker splits his time between country, blues, folk, and rock tunes, all delivered in his raw, honest baritone. As he did with his erstwhile band the Blasters, Alvin paints vivid, organic pictures of American life, giving small-scale moments and deceptively complicated personalities their moment in song. Closing in on age 50, Alvin begins to ruminate on his own life as well, looking back to his youth on the title track. But he's at his best when he's inhabiting other characters, like the withered, hospitalized old man in "The Man in the Bed" or the shady ne'er-do-well of "Out of Control." With his mastery of traditional American musical forms and his strong narrative control, Alvin proves that there's still vitality in the well-traveled roads of Americana.
Common Ground: Play And Sing The Songs Of Big Bill Broonzy... (LP)
$22.90 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~
$14.22 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE