Terry Allen Amerasia: A Film by Wolf-Eckart Buhler
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 8, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Sugarhill
Uncut - 11/03, p.1243 stars out of 5 - "...A fascinating commentary on the brutality of 'Nam..."
- 1.Amerasia - (with Terry Allen)
- 2.My Country 'Tis of Thee - (with Terry Allen)
- 3.Burden, The - (with Terry Allen)
- 4.Back Out of the World - (with Terry Allen)
- 5.Swanlake - (with Terry Allen)
- 6.Display Woman / Displaced Man - (with Terry Allen)
- 7.Lucy's Tiger Den - (with Terry Allen)
- 8.Chop Sticks / Thai Sticks - (with Terry Allen)
- 9.Nobody's Goin' Home (Friendship Highway) - (with Terry Allen)
- 10.Metrapab - (with Terry Allen)
- 11.Church Walking - (with Terry Allen)
- 12.Food Stall - (with Terry Allen)
- 13.Canal - (with Terry Allen)
- 14.Sawahdi (Christmas Song) - (with Terry Allen)
- 15.Orphans - (with Terry Allen)
- 16.Pataya - (with Terry Allen)
- 17.Let Freedom Ring - (with Terry Allen)
Personnel includes: Terry Allen (vocals, synthesizer); Surachai Janitmatorn (vocals, acoustic guitar); Veerasak Suntohnsri (acoustic guitar).
Personnel: Terry Allen (vocals, piano, keyboards, drums); Surachai Jantimatorn (vocals); Lloyd Maines (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, slide guitar, bass drum, cymbals, background vocals); Veerasak Suntohnsri (guitar, acoustic guitar); Cary Banks (electric guitar); Tong Kran Tanaa (slide guitar, fiddle); Richard Bowden (mandolin, fiddle, cello, trumpet, background vocals); Mongkol Utog (mandolin, bamboo flute); Kenny Maines (bamboo flute, maracas, shaker, tambourine, background vocals); Don Caldwell (saxophone); Mark Murray (synthesizer); Donnie Maines (drums, brake drums, bells, wind chime, background vocals); Suzanne Paulk, Bonnie Wilkerson (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Don Caldwell; Lloyd Maines; Terry Allen.
Liner Note Author: David Byrne.
Recording information: 722 Studio, Bangkok, Thailand (01/1984-01/1985); Caldwell Studios, Lubbock, TX (01/1984-01/1985).
Photographers: Mike Tilden; Douglas Kent Hall.
Translator: "Singapore" Vani.
Probably the most atypical release of Terry Allen's career, Amerasia is the soundtrack to a little-seen 1987 film by the European documentary maker Wolf-Eckart Buhler about American soldiers who stayed in Southeast Asia after the Vietnam War. To record the album, Allen traveled to Cambodia and recorded with a local rock band called Caravan (not, obviously, the English progressive rockers of the same name), both in the studio and at a live gig deep in the Thai jungle. Allen then took these tapes back to his usual stomping grounds of Lubbock, TX, and mixed them with new material recorded with his own Panhandle Mystery Band, featuring Lloyd Maines and Don Caldwell. The mixture of Southeast and Southwest is a little uneasy and the two sets of songs don't really mesh together very well, but that seems to at least be partially by design. As on most of Allen's albums, there's a dry but biting humor to songs like "Display Woman/Displaced Man" and "Lucy's Tiger Den." Amerasia is a flawed but ultimately successful experiment. ~ Stewart Mason
Play Me a Movie: Piano Music to Accompany Silent (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top Gun (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Expanded) (CD)(105)
La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD)
$9.71 Super Savings
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE