Hitler's SS - Portrait in Evil
Epic mini-series of two German brothers with opposing views of the Third Reich.
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: July 29, 2008
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Alpha Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||John Shea, José Ferrer, Bill Nighy, Carroll Baker, David Warner & Tony Randall|
|Performer:||Warren Clarke, Carroll Baker, Tony Randall & David Warner|
|Directed by||Jim Goddard|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Murder and savagery are part of the brutal workings of Adolf Hitler's dreaded SS as revealed through the lives of brothers Karl and Helmut Hoffman. SS officer Helmut is assigned the task of picking out "casualties" from Jewish concentration camp inmates. Their corpses will be dressed in Polish uniforms to help provoke the Nazi invasion of Poland and the outbreak of World War II. At a family dinner Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman relate their shock about an old neighbor who was dragged off in the middle of the night. Helmut rages,"One silly old man! If you had any idea of what they are doing to tens of thousands of people!" Meanwhile, Karl's outspoken political views get him shipped off to the Russian front to fight at Stalingrad, where his entire company is decimated. As the Reich deteriorates, the entire Hoffman family will be dragged down into a spiral of death, tragedy and retribution.
Hitler's SS features an all-star supporting cast including Academy Award winner Jose Ferrer, Carroll Baker, Tony Randall and distinguished character actor David Warner.
Inspired by the recent success of made-for-TV movies set during the Second World War, NBC broadcast HITLER'S S.S.: A PORTRAIT IN EVIL in 1985. The telefilm was written by Lukas Heller, better known for his scripts to the classic films THE DIRTY DOZEN and HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE. The film stars John Shea and Bill Nighy as young brothers who come of age during the Third Reich. Helmut (Nighy) joins the S.S., foolishly hoping to do good there from the inside. His brother Karl joins the political arm of the party, only to meet with disaster. The film shows how naivete advanced the policies of the Nazis, and how even those with good hearts were corrupted in Hitler's Germany. Tony Randall also appears in a few performance scenes that recall CABARET, another film set in the Nazi era with similar themes.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 35 ratings.
Based on 35 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 7,150
- UPC: 089218560698
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE