- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 1, 2004
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: Somerville House
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dolby Digital - English
- Dolby Digital - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: David Cronenberg - Director
- English Theatrical
- French Theatrical
- Photo Galleries
- Production Stills
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 06/01/2004
"Cronenberg's cult classic..."
Premiere - 07/01/2004
"[T]he Cronenberg 'body horror' flick in which the B touches almost subsume the intellectual content."
After undergoing radical surgery for injuries from a motorcycle accident, a young woman (former adult film star Marilyn Chambers) develops a strange phallic growth on her body and a thirst for human blood -- the only nourishment that will now sustain her. Vampire-like, she prowls the city of Montreal, using her sexual powers to attract victims, who she then infects with a particularly virulent strain of rabies. In no time at all, the city is reduced to a raging mass of rabid, salivating monsters and only an army of machine-gun-wielding soldiers can subdue them. David Cronenberg's horror film explores the relationships between sex and violence, between bodily disintegration and the disintegration of society.
Adult film star Marilyn Chambers stars as a motorcycle bad-girl who gets into an accident and undergoes an operation. A gaping sore develops under her arm and soon she's guzzling all the blood she can get her hands on. Her unsuspecting victims become infected with a rabies-like disease and are transformed into bloodsucking ghouls.
- Theatrical Release: July 1977
- Filmed in Montreal and Quebec, Canada, in Eastmancolor.
- Began shooting November 1, 1976; completed shooting December 5, 1976. Released in Canada April 8, 1977; released in the USA July 1977.
- Marilyn Chambers started out as the Whilone Proter & Gamble Ivory Snow baby; as an adult she starred in pornographic movies, her big hit being "Behind the Green Door." She has since abandoned porn for more mainstream movies.