Ian Tyson Songs From the Gravel Road
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ian Tyson ~ All the Good 'uns ~ $16.18
- by Ian Tyson ~ Cowboyography ~ $11.99
- by Ian Tyson ~ Ol' Eon ~ $10.78
- by Ian Tyson ~ Old Corrals and Sagebrush & Other Cowboy Culture Classics ~ $10.78
- by Ian Tyson ~ Yellowhead to Yellowstone and Other Love Stories ~ $15.28
- Released: April 12, 2005
- Label: Vanguard Records
- 1.This Is My Sky
- 2.Land of Shining Mountains
- 3.The Ambler Saddle
- 4.Love Without End
- 5.Silver Bell
- 6.Road to Las Cruces
- 7.Range Delivery
- 8.So No More
- 9.One Morning in May
- 10.Always Saying Goodbye
- 11.Moisture - (bonus track)
- 12.Casey's Gone - (bonus track)
Personnel: Ian Tyson (vocals, guitar); Ian Tyson; Gordie Matthews (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Kevin Breit (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bouzouki, mandolin); Michael Francis, Mike Francis (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Tony Michaels, Don Reed (fiddle); Phil Dwyer (soprano saxophone); Guido Basso, Steve McDade (trumpet); John Sheard (piano, organ, keyboards); Gord Maxwell (bass instrument, background vocals); Thom Moon (drums); Cindy Church (vocals); Rick Whitelaw (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, nylon-string guitar); Mark Kelso (drums).
Audio Mixer: Danny Greenspoon.
Recording information: Phase One Studios, Totonto (11/16/2004-11/19/2004).
Photographer: Jim Moore .
Over the past 30 years or so, Ian Tyson has transformed himself from '60s folkie to a contemporary Western poet. Songs from the Gravel Road, then, will hold few surprises for old fans, but nonetheless excels as a solid performance from a confirmed romantic. Tyson divides his material up into a couple of types of love songs, one dedicated to the open landscape ("This Is My Sky" and "Land of Shining Mountains") and the other to true love ("Love Without End" and "So No More"). Of course, love never seems to last or the object of one's desire isn't always interested or available in Tyson's world, so the land itself is Tyson's true mistress. "Range Delivery" tells the story of a boy determined to avoid boarding school by running away to his natural environment, the hills and canyons. In these songs, the wide expanses of land may be haunted by the past and they may be altered by modernity, but even these facts seem to evoke more romanticism than despair. Tyson's voice has a mellow, quiet quality perfectly suited to the material and low-key arrangements. Two bonus tracks, "Moisture" and "Casey's Gone," help to fill out the album. Songs from the Gravel Road is Western-styled folk music, delivered with confidence. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I Really Don't Want to Know: 26 Greatest Hits (CD)
$11.12 LABOR DAY
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$16.98 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE