John Fahey The Yellow Princess [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 14, 2006
- Label: Vanguard Records
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1064 stars out of 5 - "A musical lam across a mythic America....The seven minute 'Irish Setter' now sounds like a miniature blueprint for Ry Cooder's LONG RIDERS soundtrack..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1004 stars out of 5 -- "It's a pleasant journey to take, rattling along with the odd surprising flourish to mark the way, a random piece of dissonance to keep you awake and, above all, a reassurance that you're in safe hands."
- 1.The Yellow Princess
- 2.View (East from the Top of the Riggs Road / B&O Trestle)
- 4.March! For Martin Luther King
- 5.The Singing Bridge of Memphis, Tennessee
- 6.Dance of the Inhabitants of the Invisible City of Bladensburg
- 7.Charles A. Lee: In Memoriam
- 8.Irish Setter
- 9.Commemorative Transfiguration and Communion at Magruder Park
- 10.John Fahey Sampler, Themes and Variations, The - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Fare Forward Voyagers, 1965 - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Steel Guitar Medley - (previously unreleased)
Personnel: Matt Andes (guitar); Mark Andes (electric bass); Kevin Kelley (drums).
Liner Note Author: M. Ward.
Recording information: Sierra Sound Laboratories, Berkeley, CA (08/1965).
This particular John Fahey side is a personal favorite of many of his devout fans for several reasons. And although such a judgment is tough, if one were looking to own only one album by this unique guitarist, The Yellow Princess could be the one. The recording sound is among the best of his many releases; at the proper volume, the effect is as if one had taken up residency inside the sound hole of a giant acoustic guitar. The program of pieces is marvelously emotional and varied, with many moments of precisely stated harmonies moving at courageously slow tempos. The second piece on the first side, "View (East from the Top of the Riggs Road/B&O Trestle)," is surely one of his masterpieces, on a par with Charles Ives for musical Americana. It is a great added bonus to have liner notes by the artist, some of the best and most absurd text he ever came up with. Yet another reason this is one of Fahey's top sides is it allows a chance to hear one of his few collaborations with other musicians. Several members of the fine rock group Spirit are present, along with drummer Kevin Kelley, for several lovely pieces, including "March! For Martin Luther King," a remarkably heartfelt tribute that could have gone on much longer. Taped sounds and electronic effects on "The Singing Bridge of Memphis, Tennessee" certainly predict the more noisy stuff Fahey would get into in the later part of his career. ~ Eugene Chadbourne
John FaheyDeath Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes [CD]
$10.56 Super Savings
Generations of Folk, Volume 2 - Protest & Politics (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE