The Weavers The Weavers at Carnegie Hall (Live)
19 copies available
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Vanguard Records
Mojo (Publisher) - p.11204 stars out of 5 -- "They sang folk songs, work songs and protest flag-wavers, as befitting a group that had emerged from the ashes of Woody Guthrie's Almanac Singers."
- 1.Darling Corey
- 2.Kisses Sweeter Than Wine
- 3.Pay Me My Money Down
- 5.Rock Island Line
- 6.Around the World
- 8.Venga Jaleo
- 9.Suliram (I'll Be There)
- 10.Shalom Chaverim
- 11.Lonesome Traveler
- 12.I Know Where I'm Going
- 13.Woody's Rag / 900 Miles
- 14.Sixteen Tons
- 15.Follow the Drinking Gourd
- 16.When the Saints Go Marching In
- 17.I've Got a Home in That Rock
- 18.Hush Little Baby
- 19.Go Where I Send Thee
- 20.Goodnight Irene
The Weavers: Ronnie Gilbert, Lee Hays (vocals), Fred Hellerman (vocals, guitar), Pete Seeger (vocals, banjo, recorder, mandolin).
Recorded at Carnegie Hall, New York on December 24, 1955. Includes liner notes by Nancy Toff.
One of the finest concert recordings, THE WEAVERS AT CARNEGIE HALL is also one of the Weavers' best remembered albums.
The Weavers first got attention in New York, performing at the Village Vanguard in 1949. They had hits in 1950 ("Good Night, Irene" and "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine"), launching a popular folk music movement almost single-handed by performing traditional songs and songs by folk artists like Huddie Ledbetter or Woody Guthrie. But in 1952, the group was blacklisted by the House Un-American Activies Committee, forcing them to disband.
THE WEAVERS AT CARNEGIE HALL presents their reunion, after a lull of three years, a sold-out concert with a rapturous audience. The Weavers play a lively set of folk songs from around the world, sprinkled with hits. The album sold well, and the Weavers continued to defy the blacklist until they broke up in 1963 (they continued to gather for various reunion concerts until Lee Hays death in 1987).
Generations of Folk, Volume 2 - Protest & Politics (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE