Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 17, 2013
- Originally Released: 1941
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Monster by moonlight
- The Wolf Man: From ancient curse to modern myth
- Pure in Heart: The life and legacy of Lon Chaney Jr.
- He Who Made Monsters: The life and art of Jack Pierce
- The Wolf Man archives
- Feature Commentary by film historian Tom Weaver
- Trailer gallery
- 100 years of Universal: The Lot
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Even the man who is pure in heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf bane blooms
And the moon is pure and bright..."
- Maleva (MARIA OUSPENSKAYA)
Entertainment Weekly - 01/13/1995
"...Innocent, and thus more tragic....Chaney's famous make-up job makes him suitably beastly..." -- Rating: B+
A.V. Club - 02/12/2010
"It finds modern sophistication and cultured intellects unprepared to deal with a threat that's already at hand, maybe even under our own skin."
In this horror classic, Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.) returns to his father's castle in Wales to join a beautiful woman (Evelyn Ankers). Talbot escorts her to a local carnival, where a gypsy fortune teller, Bela (Bela Lugosi), predicts the horrors that await and brings to light the curse of the wolf. Later, Bela, who already has transformed into part man/part wolf, attacks Larry to transform him as well.
After returning home to his English village, Larry Talbot gets attacked by a werewolf in the forest. Although he kills the beast, Larry realizes he has received a bite during the struggle -- a bite that passes along the monster's curse to him.
Maleva, the gypsy mother of the dead wolfman, comes to Larry's aid and tells him that he too will now transform into a werewolf each time there's a full moon. While the story sounds ridiculous to Larry, he starts to believe it once more brutal killings occur in the village.
Neither his father, Sir John Talbot, nor the woman Larry loves are willing to believe the truth... but soon they're forced to confront the nature of Larry's curse as well.
Horror Classic |
Horror Movies |
Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy |
- The creator of the Wolf Man franchise, writer Curt Siodmak, died on September 2, 2000, at the age of 98--at the time he was the oldest working member of the Writers Guild of America West and had just completed his memoirs.