George Jones Amazing Grace
Only 5 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$10.33 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.65 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 10, 2013
- Label: Welk Records
- 1.Amazing Grace
- 2.In the Garden
- 3.How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
- 4.Why Me Lord
- 5.Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- 6.Peace in the Valley
- 7.Just a Closer Walk with Thee
- 8.Lonesome Valley
- 9.What a Friend We Have a Jesus
- 10.Softly and Tenderly
- 11.Great Judgment Morning (feat. Waylon Jennings, Jesse Colter, Travis Tritt, Ricky Skaggs)
- 12.The Old Rugged Cross
Personnel: Bruce Watkins, Brian Ahern (acoustic guitar); John Willis, Reggie Young , J.T. Corenflos, Brent Mason (electric guitar); John Hughy, Paul Franklin (steel guitar); Marty Stuart (mandolin); Glen Duncan (fiddle); Gary Prim (keyboards); Eddie Bayers (drums); Curtis Young, Louis Nunley, Michael Black, Ray Walker, Millie Kirkum, Mark Ivey, Sheri Copeland, Bergen White, Gordon Stoker (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Donivan Cowart; Billy Sherrill .
Recording information: Emerald Studios, Nashville, TN (1993).
The first posthumous release from George Jones is an archival release that was planned prior to his death in April 2013. Amazing Grace excavates a gospel album Jones recorded in 2002 with his longtime producer and collaborator Billy Sherrill. The two parted ways in 1991 when Jones jumped from Epic to MCA. Around the same time, Sherrill slipped into retirement and by most accounts he wasn't much interested in returning to the studio, but George convinced him to produce a collection of gospel tunes. Although Jones had released several gospel albums over the years -- Homecoming in Heaven appeared on UA in 1962; ten years later We Love to Sing About Jesus appeared on Epic -- but what turned into 2003's The Gospel Collection were his first dedicated album sessions for religious work, which is noteworthy but perhaps not as noteworthy as it being the last time Jones and Sherrill worked together. Although the production is perhaps a shade too crisp and clean, all of Sherrill's hallmarks are in place -- this is dramatic and lush, filled with crystalline guitars, echoing pianos, and creamy backing vocals -- providing a nice coda to their historic collaboration. Amazing Grace contains half of the 24 songs originally released on the 2003 double-disc The Gospel Collection (and one tune, "Great Judgement Morning," is a Brian Ahern production from 1994), but it gets these very, very nice and thoroughly underappreciated recordings back into circulation, which is a good start to Jones' posthumous career. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$15.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 66 ratings.
Based on 66 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Country: Gospel Music Categories:
- Roy Acuff Country Music Hall of Fame: 1962 (2-CD) ~ $10.55 CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Greatest Gospel Songs (CD) ~ $11.90 CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Greatest Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Greatest Hits [Curb] (CD) ~ $12.58 CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Sings American Folk Songs / Hand-Clapping Gospel Songs (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Christian & Gospel genre:
- Various Artists Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 5 (Limited) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD) ~ $1.58 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD) ~ $1.58 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 1 (Limited) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Winans Gospel Greats (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE