Lee Williams & The Cymbals Golden Carnival Classics, Part 2
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Lee Williams & The Cymbals / The Pretenders ~ Lee Williams & The Cymbals Meet The Pretenders ~ $3.99 (Save 50%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Lee Williams & The Cymbals were discovered by a record executive while they were harmonizing in a backyard in Harlem. The group had their biggest hit with "I Love You More" but they never recorded a complete album. This compact disc features the six sides they recorded for Carnival Records and the rest features other Carnival artists such as The Lovettes, Barbara Brown, and The Turner Brothers.
- 1.Lee Williams & The CymbalsI Love You More
- 2.Lee Williams & The CymbalsLost Love
- 3.Lee Williams & The CymbalsI Need You Baby
- 4.Lee Williams & The CymbalsPeeping Through The Window
- 5.Lee Williams & The CymbalsI'll Be Gone
- 6.Lee Williams & The CymbalsEverything About You
- 7.The LovettesLonely Girl
- 8.The LovettesLittle Miss Oul
- 9.The LovettesI Need A Goy
- 10.The LovettesI'm Afraid
- 11.Barbara BrownSend Him To Me
- 12.Barbara BrownSometimes I Wonder
- 13.Norma JenkinsNeed Someone To Love
- 14.Norma JenkinsMe, Myself And I
- 15.The Turner BrothersI'm The Man
- 16.Kenny RuffinHolding On To You
- 17.Phil TerrellBaby Doll
- 18.The SymphonicsNeed Someone To Love
Full performer name: Lee Williams & The Cymbals (And Friends).
Personnel: Lee Williams & the Cymbals (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Thanks to this CD, you no longer have to be satisfied with 30-year-old scratchy and worn 45s of Lee Williams & the Cymbals; they never recorded an album, and due to limited promotion, their recordings aren't well-known. People who remember the songs haven't a clue who sang them. Six of their Carnival recordings appear on this compilation, which includes other even more obscure sides by Carnival artists. Williams sang in a warm, excitable tenor that slid into heart-stopping falsetto squalls. "I Love You More" barely missed making the national rhythm & blues Top 40; it's one of the coolest R&B records ever made. For a few seconds, the opening melody stalks and tantalizes, then the backing croons, and Williams reiterates "Two lips to kiss you/Two arms to hold you/One heart that needs you/One mind that believes in you/'Cause I, I love you more than anyone ever loved anyone." "Peeping Through the Window" had potential, but didn't fare as well; it's the familiar tale of a guy coming home and finding someone else with his girlfriend. Ironically, their best vocal performance, the excellent "Til You Come Back to Me," a Joe Evans composition, is not available. A good supporting cast completes this worthy set. The Lovettes never got any run and it's unfortunate. Four of their girly efforts appear and all rate well, especially the lovely, matter-of-fact, syncopated "I Need a Guy." The self-doubting "I'm Afraid to Say I Love You" is innocent and arresting; the backing reminds you of the early no-hit Supremes. Sides by Barbara Brown, Norma Jenkins, the Symphonies, the Turner Brothers, and Kenny Ruffin are pure deep soul. Two versions of "Need Someone to Love" appear, Norma Jenkins' original and the Symphonics' remake. Phil Terrell's "Baby Doll" is a cult item among international soul fanatics. It's a blessing to have these hard-to-find 45s on CD. ~ Andrew Hamilton
The JonesesEarly Soul Years - Golden "Soul" Classics From The 70's (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
The Brothers Of SoulI Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
The WhatnautsMessage From A Black Man - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Chris BartleySweetest Thing This Side of Heaven - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$6.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Golden Carnival Classics, Part 2 Music Lover: Dan from Gainesville, FL US -- September, 5, 2007
It has some nice songs but they all pretty much sound alike.
- Sales Rank: 433
- UPC: 090431550328
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE