At The Village Gate
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: COLPIX SCP-421 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
'Eclectic' may be the best way to describe Nina Simone. She sang pop, jazz, blues, soul, gospel, even Broadway show tunes, sometimes all on the same album! This album captures her at her live best in front of an enthusiastic audience of fans. A truly remarkable performance from one of the music world's true originals.
Q - 9/914 Stars - Excellent - "..all her qualities are on display...she fuses jazz, classical and soul in her piano-playing.."
- 1.Just In Time
- 2.He Was Too Good To Me
- 3.House Of The Rising Sun
- 4.Bye Bye Blackbird
- 5.Brown Baby
- 7.If He Had Changed My Name
- 8.Children Go Where I Send You
Personnel: Nina Simone (vocals, piano); Al Shackman (guitar); Chris White (bass); Rob Hamilton (drums).
Recorded live at the Village Gate, New York, New York in 1961. Includes liner notes by Billy Vera.
Personnel includes: Nina Simone (vocals); Al Shackman (guitar); Chris White (bass); Bobby Hamilton (drums).
Recorded at The Village Gate, New York, New York.
AT THE VILLAGE GATE captures the legendary Nina Simone live with her fine trio in 1961, still early in her career, at New York City's intimate Village Gate club. Simone is a musical anomaly, and her music can be very hard to categorize. She is a classically trained pianist. At times her complex piano parts call to mind Bach ("Bye Bye Blackbird"). She is a folk singer-witness her biting version of "The House of the Rising Sun." She is a gospel singer, as heard in GATE's roof-raising version of "Children Go Where I Send You." She is a jazz singer, with a finger-poppin' and shuffling version of "Just inTime." She's also a protest singer and a powerful actress capable of manipulating our fiercest emotions through song.
Simone is all these things. Moreover, she understands that only the music matters-whatever form it may take. Like smoke, her music constantly shifts shapes. Simone's eclecticism makes her a perfect artist for any time. This legendary concert document will always sound fresh and original, just as it did the night it was recorded, and her unique music will never go out of style.
Nina SimoneAmazing Nina Simone / Nina Simone At Town Hall (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 40,929
- UPC: 090431543825
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD)(5)
$9.73 on SALE
Meet Betty Carter & Ray Bryant / Little Susie (with Ray... (CD)(5)
$10.98 on SALE
Pop Vocal Music Categories:
- Hugh "Peanuts" Whalum Peanuts Whalum (CD) ~ $11.68
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Moments To Remember (CD)
$10.29 Super Savings
- Beegie Adair Some Enchanted Evening (CD) ~ $11.68
On Broadway (CD)
$3.87 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE