- Released: February 11, 2003
- Label: Koch Records
- 1.Radar Love - Golden Earring
- 2.Let It Ride - BTO
- 3.Shout It Out Loud - Lemmy Kilmister
- 4.Tell Me What You Want - Zebra
- 5.Fight the Good Fight - Triumph
- 6.Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 7.It Don't Matter to Me - Matthew Sweet
- 8.Who's Behind the Door - Zebra
- 9.Deceiver - Judas Priest
- 10.Shoot 'Em Down - Motorhead
- 11.No One Like You - Scorpions
- 12.Catch Me Now I'm Falling - The Kinks
- 13.Be My Vision - Matthew Ryan
Includes liner notes by Edward Burns.
Personnel: Matthew Ryan (vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards); Matthew Sweet (vocals, guitar); Molly Thomas (violin); Ric Menck, Richard McLaurin (drums).
Audio Mixers: Richard McLaurin; Billy Sherwood.
Recording information: "The Office", Van Nuys, CA (08/2001); MonkeyFinger (08/2001); Ozz Manor, Los Angeles, CA (08/2001).
Arranger: Matthew Ryan.
The original soundtrack to Edward Burns' crime drama Ash Wednesday features songs and artists popular in the early '80s, when the film was set. Actually, many of the tracks -- such as Golden Earring's "Radar Love," BTO's "Let It Ride," and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" -- come from the '70s but nevertheless set the necessary gritty atmosphere for the film. The soundtrack also features two songs from Zebra, "Tell Me What You Want" and "Behind the Door," as well as Judas Priest's "Deciever," the Scorpions' "No One Like You," Triumph's "Fight the Good Fight," and Mot”rhead's "Shoot 'Em Down." Lemmy Kilmister, along with Vivian Campbell and Eric Singer, also turns up on a cover of Kiss' "Shout It out Loud." Matthew Sweet's typically bittersweet "It Don't Matter to Me" is another of the album's new tracks and one of its highlights, along with Matthew Ryan's "Be My Vision." Overall, Ash Wednesday does a good job of capturing the film's feel through music, even if it doesn't always make for the most captivating listening experience. ~ Heather Phares