The Chantels Chantels
|CYBER SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Available in a set:
- by Various Artists ~ Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 4 (10-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $39.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Chantels are considered one of the very first "Girl Groups". They scored their biggest hit in 1958 when their song "Maybe" rose high on both the Pop and R&B charts.
Rolling Stone - 11/1/69, pp.40-2"...The remarkable power and fullness of the sound comes solely from the voices of the Chantels....the astounding voice of Arlene Smith...sounds like mythical bells preserved by the gods which the world's best pipe organs try to emulate but never quite reach..."
- 3.Come My Little Baby
- 6.He's Gone
- 7.I Love You So
- 8.Every Night
- 9.Whoever You Are
- 10.How Could You Call It Off
- 11.Sure Of Love
- 12.If You Try
The Chantels include: Arlene Smith, Sonia Goring, Rene Minus, Jackie Landry, Lois Harris (vocals).
Personnel: Rene Minus, Lois Harris, Jackie Landry, Sonia Goring, Arlene Smith (vocals).
Unknown Contributor Role: The Chantels.
Although the songs here were recorded without any thought of sequencing, the end product--a collection of doo-wop and R&B singles, both hits and misses--turned out to be one of the first great rock albums. The Chantels' secret weapon, of course, was the astonishing performance of lead singer Arlene Smith, all of 16 at the time the first songs here were recorded, including the often-covered "Maybe."
Smith's vocals are incomparable--she has the sheer lungpower of an opera singer with nary a weakness at any point in her range--and she was no slouch as a songwriter, either. The group's other ace in the hole was guru/producer Richard Barrett, who created a powerful proto-wall of sound out of little more than piano, drums, and a dab of echo; it's a safe bet that a young Phil Spector wore out the grooves of the original 45s enshrined here.
History of Rock - For Lovers Only, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)
$2.38 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 11,690
- UPC: 090431542323
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- The "5" Royales The Five Royales (CD) ~ $5.78 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $5.99 CYBER SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $3.99 CYBER SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER WEEK
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.38 CYBER SALE