Across 110th Street (Original Motion Picture Score)
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Snapper Uk
Uncut - p.1064 stars out of 5 - "[I]t drapes Womack's songs over JJ Johnson's score..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/99, p.132"A better slice of Harlem hokum than the norm, with music to match. [J.J.Johnson] provides some well-shaped themes performed by a classy big band that comes kitted out with strings and a degree in electronics....Way to go."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1303 stars out of 5 - "[E]verything stays both cohesive and eminently funky."
- 1.Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack & Peace
- 2.We Thought We Were OK - (dialogue)
- 3.Harlem Clavinette - J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra
- 4.If You Don't Want My Love - Bobby Womack & Peace
- 5.Punk Errand Boy - (dialogue)
- 6.Hang on in There - J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra (TRUE instrumental)
- 7.Man, The - (dialogue)
- 8.Quicksand - Bobby Womack & Peace
- 9.150 Rounds - (dialogue)
- 10.Harlem Love Theme - J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra
- 11.Sick & Tired - (dialogue)
- 12.Across 110th Street - J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra (TRUE instrumental)
- 13.Take the Money - (dialogue)
- 14.Do It Right - Bobby Womack & Peace
- 15.Hang on in There - Bobby Womack & Peace
- 16.If You Don't Want My Love - J.J. Johnson & His Orchestra
- 17.This Is the Police - (dialogue)
- 18.Across 110th Street Part II - Bobby Womack & Peace
Original score composed and conducted by J.J. Johnson. Original songs written and performed by Bobby Womack.
Includes liner notes by John Lappen.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Beyond's Soul Cinema series.
Composers: Bobby Womack; J.J. Johnson .
Liner Note Author: Clive Anderson.
1972's ACROSS 110TH STREET is a brilliant collaboration between soul great Bobby Womack and jazz legend J.J. Johnson. Based on Wally Ferris' novel about inner-city life, crooked cops and ripping off the mob, this film demanded exciting music. Both artists contribute some of their finest work, which is often interspersed with film dialogue. Although Johnson's string arrangements on parts I and II of the title track bring to mind Gamble & Huff's Philly soul, Womack's delivery makes it sound more like Curtis Mayfield's "Shaft." Elsewhere, Womack turns "Hang on in There" into an acid-rock workout dominated by a Duane Allman-like slide guitar absent from Johnson's funkier, horn-driven treatment.
Other strong Womack compositions include the JB hard rock of "Do It Right" and the fast-paced "Quicksand." Johnson's highlights include the syncopated strut "Harlem Clavinette" and "Harlem Love Theme," a melancholy ballad featuring pizzicato bass and a somber exchange between electric piano and English horn.
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$5.39 Super Savings
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE