Cavalcade (Blu-ray + DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.07 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 6, 2013
- Originally Released: 1933
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Blu-ray/DVD Features:
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by film historian Richard Schickel
- Fox Movietone News: Calvalcade wins first honors
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Clive Brook & Diana Wynyard|
|Performer:||Herbert Mundin, Una O'Connor, Irene Browne, Tempe Pigott, Merle Tottenham, Frank Lawton, Ursula Jeans, Margaret Lindsay, John Warburton, Douglas Scott & Billy Bevan|
|Directed by||Frank Lloyd|
|Screenplay by||Reginald Berkeley|
|Original story by||Noel Coward|
|Cinematography by||Ernest Palmer|
|Art Direction by||William S. Darling|
|Produced by||Frank Lloyd|
Academy Awards 1933 - Best Director: Frank Lloyd
Academy Awards 1933 - Best Interior Decoration (b&w)
Academy Awards 1933 - Best Picture
Clive Brook and Diana Wynyard star in this turn-of-the-century epic saga adapted from Noël Coward's successful 1931 stage play. This richly nostalgic look at a vanished way of life traces the lives of a British family from the late 19th century through 1930. The story follows two English families--the upper-class Marryots and the working-class Bridges--as they confront some of the major political and social events that rock Britain during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Beginning with the Boer War in 1899, in which both the Marryot and the Bridge patriarchs enlist, and moving on to the death of Queen Victoria, the coming of World War I, and the sinking of the Titanic, the families must learn to deal with the death of their loved ones as well as with the constantly changing world around them. In spite of all the tragedy, they continue to to believe in the everlasting glory of their nation and dream of a better future for all. CAVALCADE is a Hollywood golden era blockbuster directed by Frank Lloyd (MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, OLIVER TWIST).
- A contract in the studio's legal records shows that Noël Coward was paid $100,000 for the motion picture rights to the play and for the rights to use the copyrighted songs he wrote for the play. This figure, according to the American Film Institute Catalog, was one of the highest to be paid for a literary property at that time.
- Frank Borzage was originally scheduled to direct the film but relinquished both the project and his contract with 20th Century Fox when he was offered the opportunity to direct Mary Pickford in SECRETS.
- Songs in the film: "Cavalcade" and "You Are My Dream" by Louis De Francesco and Reginald Berkeley; "A Bird in a Gilded Cage" lyrics by Arthur J. Lamb, music by Harry Von Tilzer; "Auld Lang Syne" lyrics by Robert Burns, traditional Scottish music; "I Fee'd a Mad at Michelmas" and "Soldiers of the Queen" by Leslie Stuart; "Valse des enfants" by Frank Tresselt; "I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside" by John A. Glover-Kind; "Take Me Back to Yorkshire" by Harry Castling and Fred Godfrey; "Rule Brittania" by Thomas Arne; "I'll Make a Man of You" by Herman Finck; "Your King and Country Want You" by Paul Rubens; "Military Mary Ann" by Louis Hirsch; "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" by Jack Lodge and Harry Williams; "Smile Smile Smile" lyrics by George Asaf, music by Felix Powell; "Keep the Home Fires Burning" lyrics by Lena Ford, music by Ivor Novello; "Oh, You Beautiful Doll" lyrics by Seymour Brown, music by Nat D. Ayer; "God Save the King" by Henry Carey; "Shall We Gather at the River" and "Annie Laurie," traditional.
- Director Frank Lloyd received his second Oscar for best director for CAVALCADE, having received one in 1929 for THE DIVINE LADY.
- The film cost $1.25 million and brought in $5 million in box-office receipts, both titanic figures for 1933.
The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD)
$3.98 on SALE
Beat the Devil / Charade / A Farewell to Arms (DVD)
$2.98 on SALE
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 30 ratings.
Based on 30 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck (Blu-ray)
99¢ on SALE