- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: September 18, 2001
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1959 -
Best Original Song: James Van Heusen & Sammy Cahn
In this comedy-drama, Tony (Frank Sinatra) is a small-time hotel owner with delusions of grandeur. When his finances fall into trouble, he is forced to face reality in order to keep his young son. Nonetheless, he hangs on to the far-fetched dreams best voiced in the classic hit from this film, "High Hopes."
When widower Tony Manetta has money worries, he seeks help from his wealthy brother and his wife, who regard him as a worthless dreamer, who's too irresponsible to look after his young son. Instead of giving him a loan, they travel to Florida to take the boy away from him.
Then the couple comes up with another solution: finding Tony a suitable widow to wed. Their neat little plan runs into obstacles, however -- like Tony's girlfriend. Besides, Tony has a dream of his own that he's willing to work towards... no matter how much of a long shot it is.
- Feature film debut for actor Eddie Hodges.
- A Sincap production (coined from the owners' names, Sinatra and Capra).