Rainbow Over Broadway (1933) / Tango (1936)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- The Bing Crosby Collection (College Humor / We're Not Dressing / Here Is My Heart / Mississippi /... ~ $42.67
- Rainbow Over Broadway (1933) / Tango (1936) - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Seven Sweethearts (Full Screen) ~ $14.39 (Save 20%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 31, 2007
- Originally Released: 1933
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Franklin Pangborn, Chick Chandler & Marion Nixon|
|Performer:||Joan Marsh, Frank Albertson, George Meeker & Lucien Littlefield|
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe & Phil Rosen|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Grace Hayes, who plays the pretentious Trixie, was a popular vaudeville singer and shines at the center of this witty, well-written ensemble comedy. Director Richard Thorpe, who was equally at ease making musicals, comedies, mysteries and adventures, started out with silent westerns. He went on to helm over 180 films, including four Tarzan pictures with Johnny Weismuller and two Elvis Presley spectaculars. Starring Joan Marsh, Frank Albertson, Grace Hayes, Lucien Littlefield; Directed by Richard Thorpe.
Tango (1936, B&W): Plucky chorus girl Treasure McGuire sneaks into an ad agency looking for work and lands a high-profile job modeling Tango hosiery. As her career starts to take off, she meets and marries a wealthy young heir, Anthony Thorne. Tony's parents are against the union and, since he's not yet twenty-one, they have his marriage annulled, leaving poor, distraught Treasure to struggle on alone. After Tony announces his engagement to a more "socially acceptable" fiancee, he learns that he is already the father of Treasure's new baby.
The 1936 production of Tango marked the last film appearance by star Marian Nixon, a vaudeville chorus dancer who started film work in 1922 and appeared opposite such stars as John Barrymore and Al Jolson. In 1934, on the set of We're Rich Again, she met and married the film's director, William Seiter, retiring from the movie business a year after the birth of their son in 1935. Starring Marion Nixon, Chick Chandler, Matty Kemp, Herman Bing; Directed by Phil Rosen.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Both movies are fun low-budget mid-1930's programmers with good casts, but the 'main feature' - Rainbow over Broadway - should have been the back-up: almost 30% of the movie is missing. Original running time is 72 min, but this version is edited down to 51 min to fit a 1-hour TV time slot. 'Tango', however, is a full 71 min, although it's a drama and not a 'Footlight' movie. The highlight is Marian Nixon in her last starring role before retiring, but she has a good supporting cast in Matty Kemp, George Meeker, Chick Chandler, Herman Bing & Warren Hymer. I would have rated the dvd 4-stars for this movie alone.
- Sales Rank: 13,393
- UPC: 089218540799
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE