Wynton Marsalis Tune in Tommorrow: Soundtrack
- Released: January 8, 2008
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Wounded Bird
Rolling Stone - 3/7/914 Stars - Excellent "..In its warmth, expertise and charm, "Tune In Tomorrow" may be Marsalis's best effort.."
Down Beat - 3/914 Stars - Very Good - "..uncannily faithful, forged Ellingtonia.."
Village Voice (2/5/91) - "..might be the most delicious and wide-ranging jazz soundtrack since Ellington's "Anatomy of a Murder.." - Rating: A
- 1.Big Trouble in the Easy (Pedro Pops Up) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 2.Kings of the Golden District - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 3.Crescent City Crawl (On the St. Charles Streetcar Line) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 4.Alligator Tail Drag (Mr. Alligator-Why You So Mean?) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 5.May Be Fact or Fiction - (with Johnny Adams / Wynton Marsalis)
- 6.Social Soft Shoe (Partying at Olga's) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 7.Mama Leona (You Know You Not Spanish!) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 8.I Can't Get Started - (with Shirley Horn / Wynton Marsalis)
- 9.Grand Marshall, The (Martin's Big Break) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 10.Ways of Love, The (Julia & Martin) - (with Shirley Horn / Wynton Marsalis)
- 11.On the Eve of Entry - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 12.Don't Run from Fun (Julia's Decision) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 13.Albanians (Why Us?) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 14.Sunsettin' on the Bayou (Toonin' Tonight): Dusk on the Delta / Yas, Yaz, - (with Wynton Marsalis)
- 15.Ways of Love, The - (with Shirley Horn / Wynton Marsalis)
- 16.Double Rondo on the River (Pedro's Getaway) - (with Wynton Marsalis)
Personnel includes: Shirley Horn, Neville Brothers, Alvin Batiste, Michael White, Tod Williams, Herb Harris, Wes Anderson, Harvey Estrin, Joe Temperley, Wycliffe Gordon, Marcus Roberts, Waren Bernhardt, Lucky Peterson, Reginald Veal, Herlin Riley, Johnny Adams.
Personnel: Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Johnny Adams, Shirley Horn (vocals); Todd Sebastian Williams (clarinet, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Dr. Michael White , Alvin Batiste (clarinet); Wes Anderson , Harvey Estrin (alto saxophone); Herbert Harris (tenor saxophone); Joe Temperley (baritone saxophone); Wycliffe Gordon (trombone); Marcus Roberts (piano); Warren Bernhardt, Lucky Peterson (organ); Herlin Riley (drums).
Arrangers: Wynton Marsalis; Sonny Kompanek.
This soundtrack recording is very significant in the career of Wynton Marsalis. For the first time the trumpeter displayed a sound of his own; the Miles Davis influence was finally gone. In addition Marsalis not only debuted with his septet (which consisted of trombonist Wycliffe Gordon, altoist Wes Anderson, Todd Williams on tenor, soprano and clarinet, pianist Marcus Roberts, bassist Reginald Veal and drummer Herlin Riley) but, in writing this score, Marsalis showed how talented an arranger he was; very much in the Duke Ellington tradition but without resorting to copying. The 16 selections are sometimes a bit fragmented (a few use extra personnel including clarinetist Michael White on six tracks and vocals by Shirley Horn and Johnny Adams) but they hold up very well apart from the movie and have plenty of spirit and humor. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Kristina Från Duvemåla: Den Kompletta Utgåvan (3-CD)
$43.11 Super Savings
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE