The Harptones Golden Classics - The Goldner Recordings (1956-1957)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Moonglows ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.31
- by The Five Satins ~ Five Satins Sing Their Greatest Hits ~ $9.98 (Save 23%)
Available in a set:
- by Various Artists ~ Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 1 (10-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $49.98 (Save 38%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of the best-loved vocal groups of the 1950s, the Harptones were revered for a number of their recordings, including these hit tracks laid down for Goldner Records in 1956 and 1957.
- 1.On Sunday Afternoon
- 2.That's The Way It Goes
- 3.Oo Wee Baby
- 4.Three Wishes
- 5.The Masquerade Is Over
- 6.Until The Real Thing Comes Along (Previously Unreleased, Alternate Take)
- 7.Shrine Of St. Cecilia
- 8.Cry Like I Cried
- 9.What Is Your Secret (Previously Unreleased)
- 10.Is This Reallly The End (Recorded As The Jaytones)
- 11.That's The Way It Goes (Previously Unreleased, Alternate Take)
- 12.So Good, So Fine, You're Mine
- 13.Carol Blades (With The Harptones)What Did I Do Wrong
- 14.Carol Blades (With The Harptones)When Will I Know
The Harptones: William Winfield, William Dempsey, William Galloway, William Brown.
Personnel: William Dempsey, Nick Clarke, Willie Winfield (vocals); Raoul Cita (piano).
Liner Note Author: Phil Groia.
Unknown Contributor Role: The Harptones.
Arranger: Raoul Cita.
An excellent (almost) best-of album by a superb doo-wop group that, inexplicably, never had any national hits, although their reputation has deservedly, grown over the years (and connoisseurs of the genre always knew how good they were). The Harptones most famous record, "I Want a Sunday Kind of Love," isn't here, but most everything else gives the group's sophisticated harmonies and lead singer Willie Winfield's keening tenor plenty of room to shine. Songs like the impassioned "Shrine of St. Celia" and the mambo-esque "Oo Wee Baby" represent doo-wop at its most eclectic.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,127
- UPC: 090431540121
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD)(2)
$12.35 Super Savings
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $7.49 on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts / The Capris Lee Andrews & The Hearts Meet The Capris (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE