- Released: April 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Justin Time Records
- 1.I’ll Keep On Walkin’ (Three Women)
- 2.You Knock Me Out (Rich Kids)
- 3.The Rose’s Café (Nashville, Remember My Name, Tanner 88
- 4.Goodbye Friends (A Perfect Couple)
- 5.In The Cross (Come Back To The Five And Dime…)
- 6.Let The Music Play (A Perfect Couple)
- 7.Drink Until I Drop (Three Women)
- 8.Fantasy (A Perfect Couple)
- 9.Vote (Health, Tanner 88)
- 10.I Want To Tell You (Nashville)
- 11.When Will I See You Again (Three Women)
- 12.Let’s Begin Again (Health)
- 13.Reasons (Rich Kids)
- 14.Loaded (Three Women)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
What you hear is as important as what you see in a Robert Altman film. For more than twenty years, filmmaker and musician Allan Nicholls has played a major role in Altman's sensory convergence, creating the harmonic underscore for many of Altman's most celebrated films.
Whether through Shelley Duvall's headphones in "Nashville," at the karaoke bar in "The Player" or over the jukebox in "Three Women," Nicholls' source music has set the tone for many of Altman's most celebrated scenes. Here, for the first time - his words in his own voice - Allan Nicholls performs Songs From The Source.
Allan Nicholls came to Hollywood by way of Broadway where he played both leads in Hair, and enjoyed major roles in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Jesus Christ Superstar. His big stage life ended and his silver screen life began when Robert Altman offered him the part of the cuckolded singer ("Bill") in Nashville.
Their film-making partnership continued through many more films; Altman's A Perfect Couple offered Nicholls the rare opportunity to have one of his songs, "Goodbye Friends," transcribed as a piano concerto and recorded by concert pianist Mona Golabec for the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Nicholls earned a Gold Record as music supervisor for Ready To Wear (Pret-A-Porter).