- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 6, 2001
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 05/08/1985
"...A charmingly cartoonish escapade, strong on humor and rock rhythms..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/15/1985
"...SUBWAY zips, skates and roars along....What movement! The whole picture holds together on pure energy..."
This strange combination of comedy, violence, fantasy, and suspense tells the story of Fred (Christopher Lamber), a safe cracker who is hiding in the dark tunnels of the Paris subway system after stealing documents from a shady businessman. There he meets a subterranean society of strange characters and small time crooks. He also finds love with Helena (Isabelle Adjani), robs a train, and starts a rock band. Director Besson went on to mainstream worldwide success with THE PROFESSIONAL and THE FIFTH ELEMENT.
A quirky yarn about Fred, a safecracker who crashes a posh party and steals documents belonging to Helena, the beautiful hostess. He then escapes into the Paris Metro, chased by her thug of a husband and the police. He takes refuge in the bizarre underworld existing in the depth of the subway, and encounters a punk sub-culture that is living in an almost parallel universe. While searching for Fred, Helena becomes enveloped in the same fairy tale existence, and upon catching up with the thief, she falls in love with him.
- Produced in association with Films de Loup and TSF Productions.
- Filmed in CinemaScope.