Melvins Stoner Witch
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$11.32 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.67 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 11, 1994
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Atlantic
Rolling Stone - 1/26/95, p.623.5 Stars - Very Good - "...STONER WITCH remains a journey without maps, destination unknown. Many of the songs are built around conventional metal structures, the path of least commercial resistance..."
Spin - 1/95, p.75Highly Recommended - "...Four years down the line, STONER WITCH might be seen as the point where the Melvins started a steep slide toward something like cultdom, but right now, the album sounds like their masterpiece..."
Alternative Press - 2/95, p.67"...STONER WITCH remains true to your school, as exhilarating as 50 minutes spent on a relentless morphine dripfeed can be..."
- 3.Sweet Willy Rollbar
- 5.Goose Freight Train
- 7.At the Stake
- 8.Magic Pig Detective
- 10.June Bug
Melvins: King B. (vocals, guitar, bass); Mark D. (bass, guitar, background vocals); Dale C. (drums, guitar, background vocals).
Additional personnel: Paul Dicarli (Moog).
Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California.
Personnel: Buzz Osborne (vocals, guitar); Mark D. (guitar, bass guitar, background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Joe Barresi.
Recording information: A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA.
Photographer: Annalisa .
Unknown Contributor Role: Scott Humphrey.
Released during the Melvins' mid-1990s major-label stint (a move orchestrated by longtime friend and supporter Kurt Cobain), STONER WITCH finds the Washington State ensemble reveling in glacial grandeur, slowly deploying juggernaut riffs and pummeling rhythms. As always, "King Buzzo" Osborne leads the group with his gruff vocals and alternately stinging and sludgy guitar lines, as evinced on the thrillingly ominous "Queen" and the stomping "Revolve," tracks that also highlight drummer Dale Crover's powerful percussion. Featuring the Melvins' trusty tendency for absurdity (see the song titles "Goose Freight Train" and "Magic Pig Detective"), WITCH gets weirder as it goes along, winding down with the punk-like burst of "June Bug" followed by "Lividity," more than nine minutes of near-silence capped off by jarring noise. Easily one of the Melvins' finest outings, STONER WITCH is an uncompromising alt-metal classic that is essential for any self-respecting fan of the venerable Pacific Northwest band.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 33 ratings.
Based on 33 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE