- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 9, 2013
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1974
"...Lucas beautifully establishes his characters..."
USA Today - 09/18/1998
"...[A] classic of cruising....An all-time word-of-mouth hit..."
Total Film - 03/01/2001
"...This hugely influential docu-drama launched the careers of director George Lucas and its cast..."
Premiere - 12/01/2003
"[I]t felt new and fresh..."
Coming Of Age |
Essential Cinema |
- Theatrical release: August 12, 1973.
- AMERICAN GRAFFITI was selected for the Library of Congress National Film Registry.
- The film was the second feature by George Lucas, the same director who would later go on to make the phenomenally successful STAR WARS trilogy. It was produced by Lucas's friend, Francis Ford Coppola, also an aspiring filmmaker at the time. Although the cast is studded with actors who are considered stars today, at the time they were all relatively unknown.
- The license plate number on John Milner's car is THX-138, closely resembling the title of Lucas' 1970 film, THX 1138.
- AMERICAN GRAFFITI was one of the first films that firmly established the importance of a new breed of American (mostly film school educated) directors sometimes known as the "Movie Brats." Also included in this school were Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Jim McBride.
- Ron Howard, who acted with Kathleen Quinlan in AMERICAN GRAFFITI, directed her in APOLLO 13 more than twenty years later.