Jane's Addiction Nothing's Shocking
|You Save:||$0.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 17, 1990
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Rolling Stone4 Stars - Excellent
- 1.Up the Beach
- 2.Ocean Size
- 3.Had a Dad
- 4.Ted, Just Admit It
- 5.Standing in the Shower...Thinking
- 6.Summertime Rolls
- 7.Mountain Song
- 8.Idiots Rule
- 9.Jane Says
- 10.Thank You Boys
- 11.Pig's in Zen
Jane's Addiction: Perry Farrell (vocals); David Navarro (acoustic & electric guitars); Eric A. (acoustic guitar, bass); Stephen Perkins (drums, percussion).
Additional personnel: Angelo Moore, Flea, Christopher Dowd (horns).
Engineers: Dave Jerden, Ronnie S. Champagne, Andy Harper.
Recorded at Eldorado Studios in Los Angeles, California.
Personnel: Perry Farrell (vocals); Dave Navarro (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Eric Avery (guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar); Chris Dowd, Flea , Angelo Moore (horns); Stephen Perkins (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixers: Dave Jerden; Andy Harper; Perry Farrell.
Recording information: Eldorado Studios, Los Angeles, CA.
Photographers: Kevin Westenberg; Casey Niccoli; Perry Farrell.
Jane's Addiction may not have been a strict metal band, but their music was certainly full of traits inherent to metal substances: hard, gleaming, powerful. On NOTHING'S SHOCKING, which captured the much too short-lived quartet at its very peak, they were a blazing metallic supernova--grooving up a streak across the sky one moment, setting off heavy rhythmic discharges the next. Feeding off radically diverse musical elements--from art and classic rock, to hard-core punk and funk--Jane's Addiction was the last great precursor to the alternative revolution of 1991-92. Simultaneously, they were the sole inheritors of Led Zeppelin's mantra to make a different kind of sprawling heavy rock, and that they did in spades.
Thematically, NOTHING'S SHOCKING set out to prove that no subject was beyond the gleam in lyricist/vocalist Perry Farrell's (pronounced "peripheral") eye. Serial killer Ted Bundy ("Ted, Just Admit It"), punk ideology as Eastern philosophy ("Pigs In Zen"), mystic romances ("Summertime Rolls") and high-falutin', early-morning thoughts ("Standing In The Shower...Thinking") were all dissected through a psychologically-stimulating viewpoint, with a stream-of-consciousness delivery. Farrell's tales also served the band as a guide to attack the canvas, and the musicians burned heroically behind him, providing the songs with an expansive set of musical colors. Guitarist Dave Navarro continuously exploded on the drop of a dime, while bassist Eric Avery and drummer Stephen Perkins proved to be among the most formidable rhythm sections in all of rock.
Above all, NOTHING'S SHOCKING helped revive the idea that heavy rock need not be formulaic, or lack any semblance of meaningful content. Rather than focus on the old-hat aspects of the rock rebellion myth (sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll), Jane's Addiction looked in the hard-to-find places for their muse, demonstrating that metal rebels didn't have to be idiots.
Jane's AddictionUp From the Catacombs: The Best of Jane's Addiction
$17.09 Super Savings
Up From the Catacombs: The Best of Jane's Addiction (CD)(11)
$17.09 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 105 ratings.
Based on 105 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Newman The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1955-1956) "The Basie Days (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Fugitives On The Run With The Fugitives (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE