- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 24, 2012
- Originally Released: 1925
- Label: American Pop Classics
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 11/09/1990
"...This German classic, also from director Pabst, was Garbo's European swan song and a film that brought her significant U.S. attention..."
Los Angeles Times - 01/30/2004
"THE JOYLESS STREET offers a tumultuous panorama whose realism is heightened by the bold Expressionist style that marked the German silent cinema."
Garbo plays her final European role in this stark, hauntingly realistic drama which details the devastating physical and psychological effects of war. Silent film with original organ score and title cards in English.
Based on the novel by Hugo Bettauer, this silent classic of Weimar cinema stars Asta Nielsen and marks Greta Garbo's screen debut.
Two beautiful young women from upstanding yet destitute bourgeois families must sell themselves into prostitution lest they starve and freeze to death.
- A silent film, "The Joyless Street" is a classic of the German Expressionist movement and one of G. W. Pabst's most widely acclaimed films.