Thomas Newman Meet Joe Black
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 3, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: UMVD Labels
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Yes
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Everywhere Freesia
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Walkaway
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Meet Joe Black
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Peanut Butter Man
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Whisper of a Thrill
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Cheek to Cheek
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Cold Lamb Sandwich
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Fifth Ave.
- $0.99 on iTunes10.A Frequent Thing
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Death and Taxes
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Served Its Purpose
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Sorry For Nothing
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Mr. Bad News
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Let's Face the Music and Dance
- $0.99 on iTunes16.The Question
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Someone Else
- $0.99 on iTunes18.What a Wonderful World
- 19.That Next Place
- 20.Somewhere Over The Rainbow / What A Wonderful World - (with Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Original score composed by Thomas Newman.
Producers include: Thomas Newman, Bill Bernstein.
Engineers include: Dennis Sands.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
As modern soundtrack scores go, the quality can be hit or miss, but Thomas Newman's work is almost always something to get excited about, as evidenced in the Oscar-nominated The Shawshank Redemption, Road to Perdition, and the title theme for Six Feet Under. His score for Meet Joe Black contains the seeds of beauty that would fully flower on his score for American Beauty, the next film he scored and a high point of his career. "Whisper of a Thrill," the soaring romantic theme, is a perfect distillation of the film's emotional plot, its yearning melody shadowing Joe Black's (Brad Pitt) love for the beautiful Susan (played by Claire Forlani) and its ultimate futility. As romantic themes go, Newman's ranks as a recent classic that captures both the initial rush of love and also the devastating crush of its leaving. Newman skillfully weaves this theme into the rest of the score, and its sweeping sentimentality is flexible enough to be incorporated into other melodic themes, such as the denouement of "Someone Else." For the most part, gentle strings and woodwinds dominate, with gentle piano work reserved for special, heart-tugging moments. But the score is also quite playful, as on "Peanut Butter Man," where a flute meanders over bouncing strings, and also in the quick, percussive staccato of the middle-eight. This is an excellent score, an achievement from any composer, and something that ranks up near the top of Thomas Newman's work. ~ James Mason
Thomas NewmanPay It Forward [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
Thomas NewmanScent of a Woman [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 116 ratings.
Based on 116 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Play Me a Movie: Piano Music to Accompany Silent (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD)
$9.71 Super Savings
the Music from "The Good Bad and the Ugly" & "A Fistful of... (CD)(45)
$6.14 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE