- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 26, 2002
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 10/05/2001
"...It's all very French, very intricate, and -- this is Rivette's magic -- seemingly as light as air..."
Sight and Sound - 01/01/2002
"...Rivette manages the complex choreography of his characters with virtuoso comic timing..."
Rolling Stone - 10/11/2001
"...VA SAVOIR abounds in pleasures....Balibar is a magician of moods and, as such, the ideal actress for Rivette..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/23/2001
"...Supple and sophisticated, filled with grace and wit..."
USA Today - 03/01/2002
"...[Balibar and de Fougerollles] exude the vitality for which French cinema is famous..."
Director Jacques Rivette presents VA SAVOIR, a masterful piece of filmmaking that combines classic cinematic techniques with elements of the stage, resulting in a majestic and formidable film. A French theater actress, Camille (Jeanne Balibar), has been living in Italy for three years. She enjoys much success working abroad as a bilingual actress, and has fallen in love with her Italian co-star, Ugo (Sergio Castellito), who is also the director of her acting troop. But when Ugo announces that the play they're performing, AS YOU DESIRE ME by Luigi Pirandello, will tour to Paris, Camille responds with nervous confusion, and suddenly the past she left behind in Paris comes rushing back to her.
- Theatrical Release: SEPTEMBER 29, 2001 (NY)
- This film screened in September 2001 as part of the 39th New York Film Festival, organized by the Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York City.