The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra The Star Trek Album (2-CD)
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 11, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Silva America
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Star Trek: The TV Series Theme
- 2.Star Trek: The Motion Picture Ene Titles
- 3.Klingon Attack - (from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture")
- 4.Warp Drive - (Sound Effect)
- 5.Overture - (from "Star Treck II: The Erath Of Khan")
- 6.Bird of Prey Decloaks - (from "Star Trek III: Search for Spock")
- 7.End Titles - (from "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home")
- 8.Away Team - (Sound Effect)
- 9.End Titles - (from "Star Trek: First Content")
- 10.Tasha's Farewell - (from "Star Trek: The Next Generation")
- 11.Theme - (from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine")
- 12.He's Toast - (from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine")
- 13.End Titles - (from "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier")
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.End Titles - (from "Star Treak VI: The Undiscovered Country")
- 2.Theme - (from "Star Trek: Voyager")
- 3.Battle Stations - (Sound Effect)
- 4.Overture - (from "Star Trek: Generations")
- 5.One Last Visit - (from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine")
- 6.End Titles - (from "Star Trek: Insurrection")
- 7.Dogfight in Space - (Sound Effect)
- 8.Menagerie - (from "Star Trek: The TV Series")
- 9.Opening - (from "Star Fleet Academy")
- 10.Crash Landing - (Sound Effect)
- 11.Suite - (from "Star Trek: Nemesis")
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Mark Ayres (sound effects).
Recording information: Smecky Studios, Prague, Czech Republic.
Editor: Gareth Williams.
Unknown Contributor Role: David Stoner.
Arrangers: Christopher Tin; Mike Townend; Nic Raine.
Silva Records' collection of music written for the various film, television, and video properties that make up the Star Trek franchise (performed, as usual for Silva, by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra) suggests a division between two composers not unlike that in the James Bond film franchise between Monty Norman, who wrote the original theme, and John Barry, who has done much of the scoring. In the case of Star Trek, that division is between Alexander Courage, who wrote the theme for the original 1960s television series, and Jerry Goldsmith, who wrote the music for the first film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, in 1979. And, as with the Bond films, in which, while Norman always gets his due, Barry really rules the roost, in the Star Trek galaxy, Courage gets repeated nods while Goldsmith is the real power. That's a shame, really. Courage's fruity theme is a triumph of '60s exotica, with its jazz elements and otherworldly female ululations. It's a throwback to the cheesy science-fiction films of the '50s. Goldsmith, on the other hand, contributed a big, showy march to the first film, its chief influence being John Williams' Star Wars music. As this album demonstrates, Goldsmith's successors, James Horner, Leonard Rosenman, Cliff Eidelman, and Dennis McCarthy, have always kept him in mind, but have recalled Courage only occasionally. And Goldsmith himself has stepped back in here and there, returning for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and handling the eighth, ninth, and tenth films, as well as one of the later TV series (Star Trek: Voyager). There is plenty of enjoyable film music here that will remind the Star Trek fan of favorite moments. But there is also aural evidence of how far Star Trek journeyed from its original form, and not necessarily for the better. ~ William Ruhlmann
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE