Count "Red" Hastings
With Danny Turner/ Eddie Woodland
Gotham Recording Artist (series)
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Count "Red" Hastings built up an impressive reputation as a saxman during the late '30s. He also led his own band, and when he recorded these tracks for Gotham, was working in the realm where rhythm and blues merged into bop and jazz. Selections by Hastings are complemented by sax sensation Eddie Woodland and by Danny "Mr. Alto" Turner. The disc also contains six previously unreleased takes.
- 1.Diga Diga Do
- 2.Sugar Cane
- 3.Minor In The Diner (Previously Unreleased)
- 4.She's Funny That Way
- 5.Patches (Previously Unreleased)
- 6.Begin The Beguine
- 7.Candied Yam
- 10.Minor In The Diner (Previously Unreleased)
- 11.Midnight Moan
- 12.Snap Case (Previously Unreleased)
- 13.Jumpin' With Pio (Previously Unreleased)
- 14.Danny's Jump (Previously Unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Tony Burke.
Personnel: Count Red Hastings (saxophone); Danny Turner , Eddie Woodland (saxophone).
Liner Note Author: Tony Burke.
Recording information: ??/??/1948-01/04/1950.
A fine tenor saxophonist who appeared on many sessions in the 1950s, Count Hastings only led two sessions of his own in his career, both for Gotham and released in full on this CD. The first two songs (from 1948) are with an unidentified rhythm section and include a barely recognizable "Begin the Beguine." The eight numbers from the January 4, 1950, session (including two alternate takes) often have Hastings teamed with fellow tenor George Kelly and some sparks fly. The music is early R&B but also has the influence of small-group swing and bebop. The material is mostly basic, but the playing is creative within the genre. Also included on this CD are two numbers apiece from altoist Danny Turner (no relation to the later Count Basie alto of the same name) and the completely forgotten (but worthwhile) tenor Eddie Woodland. Fun jump music. ~ Scott Yanow
Tiny GrimesTiny Grimes And His Rockin' Highlanders, Volume 2 (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,799
- UPC: 090431532324
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3