Let Me Play This For You: Rare Cajun Recordings
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.39 (2% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 25, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Tompkins Square
- 1.La Valse De La Veuve - Angelas LeJeune
- 2.J Vai Jouer Celea Pour Toi - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 3.Valse De La Lousianne - Angelas LeJeune
- 4.Perrodin Two Step - Angelas LeJeune
- 5.Vien A La Maison Avec Moi - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 6.Bayou Pom Pom One Step - Angelas LeJeune
- 7.Valse De Pointe Noire - Angelas LeJeune
- 8.I Am Happy Now - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 9.Petit Tes Canaigh - Angelas LeJeune
- 10.La Valse De Church Point - Angelas LeJeune
- 11.Ella A Plurer Pour Revenir - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 12.La Valse A Tidom Hanks - Angelas LeJeune
- 13.One Step Du Maraist Bouler - Angelas LeJeune
- 14.La Valse Du Bayou - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 15.Madam Donnez Moi Les - Angelas LeJeune
- 16.Baltimore Waltz - Blind Uncle Gaspard & Delma Lachney
- 17.Je Tai Toujors Dis Dene Pas Fair Sa - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 18.Qu est Que J Ai Fait Pour Etre Peuni Si Longtemps? - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 19.Le Petit One Step - Angelas LeJeune
- 20.The Waltz Of The Long Wood - Percy Babineaux & Bixy Guidry
- 21.La Valse Du Texas - Angelas LeJeune
- 22.One Step A Cain - Angelas LeJeune
- 23.Marksville Blues - Blind Uncle Gaspard
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Audio Remasterer: Christopher King.
Liner Note Author: Ron Brown .
Photographers: Effie Guillory; Rita Prejean; Ervin Lejeune; Ann Savoy; Richard Nevins.
Tompkins Square Records' Long Gone Sounds series has been a provocative entry in the field of archival recordings. Though they take painstaking measures in assembling their compilations of rare music from the early 20th century, authoritatively research and annotate their sources in liner notes, and craft each package handsomely, they eschew academic presentation and make no attempt to be comprehensive in the way other labels who source out similar material do. They provide an aural snapshot of a vanished era; nothing more. As such, they've been wildly successful in attracting the ears of music fans who actively seek the sounds of vanishing history. This volume is a case in point. It focuses on the sounds of a handful of obscure Cajun artists from Southwestern Louisiana in 1929 and 1930. It contains all eight sides cut by the accordion and fiddle duo Adolph "Bixy" Guidry and Percy Babineaux, 13 of the 16 available for reissue sides of accordionist Angelas LeJeune (cousin of the more widely renowned Iry), and a very rare 78 by guitarist Alcide "Blind Uncle" Gaspard entitled "Marksville Blues," as well as its flipside, an instrumental played with fiddler Delma Lachney (the pair cut a total of 16 sides together). LeJeune is the best known of this group. He was regarded as an accordionist of considerable ability during his era; but despite winning many accordion contests and playing at dances throughout the region, his more famous cousin's reputation overshadowed him. His finest moments here are the haunting "Madam Donnez Moi Les" and his burning "Perrodin Two Step." Guidry and Babineaux were never particularly widely known. Their four recordings -- all quite fine by the way, especially the Creole-tinged flavor of "I Am Happy Now" -- didn't set the Cajun music world on fire, and were forgotten almost immediately. Gaspard's "Marksville Blues" is just that, a deep, spare, 12-bar blues with intensely rhythmic, fingerpicked changes and a spooky vocal, but the Cajun overtones in his phrasing and rhythm are unmistakable. The set is deftly and engagingly annotated by Ron Brown, who co-produced it with Christopher King. Let Me Play This for You isn't for everybody, and it doesn't try to be. It's for those who seek out the shadows of a history (like much of the land itself) that has all but disappeared. For those who love this music, this set offers treasures not readily available elsewhere. ~ Thom Jurek
Nathan AbshireMaster of the Cajun Accordion: The Classic Swallow...
$14.72 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE