Studio One Presents Suspense (Two Sharp Knives / There Was a Crooked Man)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: January 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Alpha Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Stanley Ridges & Robert Sterling|
Description by OLDIES.com:
There Was a Crooked Man: A crippled man is stabbed to death at Ms. Girard's boarding house. Every tenant is a suspect - especially the dark and mysterious Paul Collins (Charles Korvin). When Jeff Troy (Robert Sterling) returns to the boarding house, he finds his wife Haila snooping dangerously into the personal lives of their neighbors. Jeff must now discover which suspect is the killer before his young spouse becomes the next victim!
Born William Sterling Hart, Robert Sterling was the son of Chicago Cubs Catcher Walter S. Hart and had a film and television career that spanned five decades. In the early 1950s Sterling and his wife, actress Anne Jeffrey, teamed up for a musical club act which led to their being cast as the ghostly George and Marion Kirby in the 1953 classic TV comedy, "Topper."
Hungarian-born Charles Korvin was blacklisted from Hollywood in the early 1950s for refusing to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee. Despite being blacklisted for nearly a decade, Charles was still able to find acting work in television, most notably as Jose Varga in the 1957 series, "Zorro."
Starring Robert Sterling,Charles Korvin; Directed by Paul Nickell.
Two Sharp Knives: A small-town police chief captures a big-city murder suspect. The next morning the accused man is found hung in his locked jail cell. To make matters worse, it looks as though the hanging was not the suicide of a guilty man, but an execution - and that the murder he was accused of never really happened. Now the Chief must search everywhere, including his own department, for an innocent man's killer.
English-born Stanley Ridges had an impressive career that began on the British musical stage as a protegé of Beatrice Lillie. After arriving in America, Ridges became a romantic leading man on Broadway. His film career, however, did not pick up momentum until 1934 when he appeared in Crime Without Passion with Claude Rains. A finely honed acting ability allowed Ridges to out-shine many of his co-stars, including Karloff in the 1940 horror film, Black Friday. Ridges went on to appear in several memorable films, including Sergeant York, Tarzan Triumphs, and The Story of Dr. Wassell, until his death in 1951.
Director Frank Schaffner graduated from television work to become the creative force behind such cinematic classics as The Planet Of The Apes, Patton, and Papillon.
Starring Stanley Ridges; Directed by Frank Schaffner.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Aside from rescuing some good old shows, this disc demonstrates something about audiences in the 1950s -- that they had fairly strong attention spans. The plots of these shows, especially "There Was a Crooked Man" based on a short story by Kelly Roos, are not of the sort that you're going to be able to follow while cooking or going through the newspaper or thinking about anything else. They are intricate and they are clever. "Two Sharp Knives", based on a short story by Dashiell Hammett, is the simpler and rather more realistic of the two, lacking the colorful but hard-to-believe plethora of suspects in the other story.
- Sales Rank: 11,604
- UPC: 089218525994
- Shipping Weight: 0.30/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE