Motown: The Musical [Original Broadway Cast Recording]
by Various Artists
Only 10 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$13.07 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.91 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 4, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Motown
- 1.Battle of The Stars: Papa Was A Rolling Stone (Prologue) / I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) / Ain't Too Proud To Beg / Baby I Need Your Loving / I Can't Get Next To You / Reach Out I'll Be There / (I Know) I'm Losing You
- 2.Hey Joe (Black Like Me)
- 3.Get Ready / Dancing In The Street
- 4.The Motortown Revue: Please Mr. Postman / You've Really Got A Hold On Me / Do You Love Me
- 5.Where Did Our Love Go / Stop! In The Name of Love
- 6.My Girl
- 7.You're All I Need To Get By
- 8.War / What's Going On
- 9.I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- 10.I Want You Back / Abc / The Love
- 11.Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)
- 12.Happy Birthday / Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours
- 13.Can I Close The Door (On Love)
- 14.Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Audio Mixer: Frank Filipetti.
Liner Note Author: Berry Gordy, Jr.
Recording information: MSR Studios, NYC (04/21/2013-04/22/2013).
Photographers: Joan Marcus; Andrew Eccles.
Opening in April of 2013, Motown: The Musical is the Broadway adaptation of Motown founder Berry Gordy's autobiography, one stuffed with over 50 song segments from the legendary label's towering '60s glory days. Trying to contain the various vivid stories, personalities, and characters of Motown's early history in one compact musical would be hard enough, let alone trying to get into any of the music. Thusly, the original Broadway cast recording of Motown: The Musical is mostly a long string of medleys, grabbing truncated versions or seconds of hooks from classic Motown hits by everyone from the Supremes to the Jackson 5. In between the dizzyingly speedy mash-ups there are equally short snippets of dialogue alluding to the civil rights movement happening concurrently with Motown's rise to worldwide acclaim and the occasional banter between the star players before they break into song. Studio musicians and cast members offer surprisingly faithful renditions of ubiquitous hits like the Temptations' "My Girl," the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back," and the rousing album-closing version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." The serviceable Broadway medley versions are fine, but they play so closely to the originals that they end up reinforcing how truly magical and unique the original sessions were. Trying to re-create the impossibly rare beauty of early Motown is a fool's errand, and while the musical isn't aiming to do that, Motown: The Musical can't help but fall flat as an album when compared to any of the innumerable Motown hits collections that have come before it. As a souvenir for those particularly moved by the musical, or Motown fanatics, this is a great production and a document of an enormously entertaining show. For anyone turned on to the sound of young Detroit for the first time by the musical, investigating the real artifacts isn't just the best place to start, but the only place. ~ Fred Thomas
Jersey Boys / Frankie ValliJersey Boys: The Story of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons...
$10.84 Super Savings
Play Me a Movie: Piano Music to Accompany Silent (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD)
$9.71 Super Savings
the Music from "The Good Bad and the Ugly" & "A Fistful of... (CD)(45)
$6.14 Super Savings