Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 2, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Universal Studios
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- DTS 5.1 Surround - French, Spanish
- DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Extended Scenes
- Alternate Opening
- BD Live - Exclusive Content
- BD Live - My Chat
- BD Live - My Scenes Sharing
- BD Live - My Wanted Commentary
- Interactive Features
- Behind the Scenes: The Making of Wanted: The Game
- U Control - Assassin Profiles
- U Control - Motion Comics
- U Control - Picture in Picture
- U Control - Scene Explorer
- Groundbreaking Visual Effects: From Imagination to Execution
- The Origins of Wanted: Bringing the Graphic Novel to Life
- Through the Eyes of Visionary Director Timur Bekmambetov
- Stunts on the L Train
- Special Effects: The Art of the Impossible
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 06/27/2008
"Much of the entertainment value comes from jaw-dropping stunts and explosive action sequences, which are high-octane fun....Highly inventive..."
Los Angeles Times - 06/27/2008
"WANTED has audacity to burn....Jolie is all wolf, kohl-eyed and coldblooded....The adrenaline-overdose strategy works for viewers as well as hit men."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/11/2008
"[T]here's global realpolitik glee to the filmmaker's fancy-splatter approach to violence."
Empire - 08/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "Bekmambetov understands pacing and escalation: set-pieces build in intensity, and each sequence is filled with inventive gags or gimmicks..."
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2008
"[I]t rivets your attention....McAvoy's transition from anxious office serf to swaggering killer has some emotional depth and a runty, fearful stoicism."
Premiere - 06/20/2008
"[I]ts speedily unfolding plotline doesn't disappoint, with as many twists and turns as its characters' stunning mid-air moves."
Total Film - 12/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Relentlessly paced, the film barrels by like the express train Jolie bodysurfs..."
Loosely based on the comic book miniseries of the same by Mark Millar and J.G. Jones, WANTED, directed by Timur Bekmambetov, follows anxiety-prone office drone Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy) as he is inducted into the Fraternity, a clan of powerful killers that counted his father as a member. Pursued by rogue agent Cross (Thomas Kretschmann), Wesley is trained by the sleek, sexy Fox (Angelina Jolie) and the charismatic Sloan (Morgan Freeman), among others, to be just as proficient and deadly as his father. Once Wesley becomes a master assassin, he must confront Cross, and contend with the stunning ramifications of that encounter.
Straying rather far from the WANTED comic's supervillain-centric premise, WANTED runs with the edgy Eastern European aesthetic of Russian helmer Bekmambetov, who garnered international recognition with the stylish vampire epic NIGHT WATCH. While Jolie is a gleefully destructive presence in her action-heavy scenes, the film belongs to McAvoy, who transforms from milquetoast to manhunter with verve and charm. And like the similarly themed THE MATRIX before it, WANTED also showcases some eye-catching special effects, most notably in the loopy concept of "curving bullets." Though devotees of the WANTED comic may be dismayed with the many liberties taken with the story, the movie is undeniably energetic and entertaining, making it fun summer blockbuster fare.
Based On A Novel |