- Released: June 25, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Decca U.S.
- 1.Road to Perdition, film score: Rock Island, 1931
- 2.Road to Perdition, film score: Wake
- 3.Road to Perdition, film score: Just The Feller
- 4.Road to Perdition, film score: Mr. Rance
- 5.Road to Perdition, film score: Bit Borrowers
- 6.Road to Perdition, film score: Murder (in four parts)
- 7.Road to Perdition, film score: Road To Chicago
- 8.Road to Perdition, film score: Reading Room
- 9.Someday Sweetheart - (with The Charleston Chasers)
- 10.Road to Perdition, film score: Meet Maguire
- 11.Road to Perdition, film score: Blood Dog
- 12.Road to Perdition, film score: Finn McGovern
- 13.Road to Perdition, film score: The Farm
- 14.Road to Perdition, film score: Dirty Money
- 15.Road to Perdition, film score: Rain Hammers
- 16.Road to Perdition, film score: A Blind Eye
- 17.Road to Perdition, film score: Nothing To Trade
- 18.Queer Notions - (with Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra)
- 19.Road to Perdition, film score: Virgin Mary
- 20.Road to Perdition, film score: Shoot The Dead
- 21.Road to Perdition, film score: Grave Drive
- 22.Road to Perdition, film score: Cathedral (Includes excerpt from Alma Redemptoris Mater)
- 23.There'll be some changes made - (with Chicago Rhythm Kings)
- 24.Road to Perdition, film score: Ghosts
- 25.Road to Perdition, film score: Lexington Hotel, Room 1432
- 26.Road to Perdition, film score: Road to Perdition
- 27.Perdition, piano duet (for the film Road to Perdition) - (with Paul Newman / Tom Hanks / Paul Newman)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Original score composed by Thomas Newman.
Personnel: Thomas Newman (piano); Eric Rigler (whistling, Uilleann pipe); Rick Cox (guitar, glass, maracas); George Doering (bouzouki, drums); Bill Bernstein (hurdy-gurdy, mandolin); Steve Kujala (flute, alto flute); Jon Clarke (pennywhistle, oboe); Steve Tavaglione (clarinet, EWI); Michael Fisher (glockenspiel, bodhran, timpani); Nico Abondolo (double bass).
Audio Mixer: Tommy Vicari.
Recording information: Paramount Pictures Scoring Stage M; Signet Sound Studios; Sony Pictures Studios; The Fox Newman Scoring Stage; Todd Scoring Stage.
Photographer: Fran‡ois Duhamel.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Michael Fisher; Rick Cox; George Doering.
Thomas Newman has a talent for composing disquieting little motifs played on unusual instruments (think of his theme music for the television series Six Feet Under), and he puts it to use in his score for the Depression-era gangster film Road to Perdition. Director Sam Mendes, who called Newman in to work on American Beauty, which earned him an Academy Award nomination, brings him back for a similar role here. Even discounting the inclusion of period (Fletcher Henderson's "Queer Notions," the Chicago Rhythm Kings' "There'll Be Some Changes Made") and period-sounding ("Someday Sweetheart" by the Charleston Chasers) source music, this is a long soundtrack, but it is one consisting of small and subtle effects. Newman likes dissonance, but he places it unobtrusively within quiet passages, so that it creates odd and comic tones. He is also capable of writing more conventional cues, such as "Dirty Money," with its martial percussion and contrasting sections carried by strings and brass, but it is the dark, slow-paced pieces that dominate this score. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 56 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 65,185
- UPC: 044001716720
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item