- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 24, 1996
- Label: Decca U.S.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Jesus Christ Superstar: Overture
- 2.Jesus Christ Superstar: Heaven on Their Minds
- 3.Jesus Christ Superstar: What's the Buzz / Strange Thing Mystifying
- 4.Jesus Christ Superstar: Everything's Alright
- 5.Jesus Christ Superstar: This Jesus Must Die
- 6.Jesus Christ Superstar: Hosanna
- 7.Jesus Christ Superstar: Simon Zealotes / Poor Jerusalem
- 8.Jesus Christ Superstar: Pilate's Dream
- 9.Jesus Christ Superstar: The Temple
- 10.Jesus Christ Superstar: Everything's Alright
- 11.Jesus Christ Superstar: I Don't Know How to Love Him
- 12.Jesus Christ Superstar: Damned for All Time / Blood Money
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Jesus Christ Superstar: The Last Supper
- 2.Jesus Christ Superstar: Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)
- 3.Jesus Christ Superstar: The Arrest
- 4.Jesus Christ Superstar: Peter's Denial
- 5.Jesus Christ Superstar: Pilate and Christ
- 6.Jesus Christ Superstar: King Herod's Song (Try It and See)
- 7.Jesus Christ Superstar: Judas' Death
- 8.Jesus Christ Superstar: Trial Before Pilate (Including the 39 Lashes)
- 9.Jesus Christ Superstar: Superstar
- 10.Jesus Christ Superstar: Crucifixion
- 11.Jesus Christ Superstar: John Nineteen: Forty-One
Music composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Lyrics by Tim Rice.
Principal cast: Murray Head (Judas Iscariot); Ian Gillan (Jesus Christ); Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene); Paul Raven (Priest); Mike D'Abo (King Herod).
Personnel includes: Ian Gillian, Murray Head.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Principle cast: Steve Balsamo (Jesus Christ), Zubin Varla (Judas Iscariot), Joanna Ampil (Mary Magdalene), David Burt (Pontius Pilate), Alice Cooper (King Herod), Jonathan Hart (Peter), Glen Carter (Simon Zealotes), Peter Gallagher (Caiaphas, High Priest), Martin Callaghan (Annas).
Producers: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Nigel Wright, Tim Rice.
Conceived by composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyricist Tim Rice while the British duo were still in their early 20s, the rock opera JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR was released in 1970 as a studio album before its many subsequent stage productions. Featuring Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan as Jesus and Murray Head as Judas, this recording presents the initial versions of these well-known Broadway tunes, including the funky, frenetic "What's the Buzz?/Strange Thing Mystifying" and "The Temple," a hauntingly chaotic number. Although other productions of the musical are highly regarded, this original version is arguably the best.