Forbidden Planet (50th Anniversary Edition) (2-DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$20.94 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.05 (22% Off)|
- Deleted scenes and lost footage
- 2 follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot: feature film The Invisible Boy, The Thin Man TV series episode "Robot Client"
- 3 documentaries: TCM original "Watch the Skies!": "Science Fiction, the 1950s" and "Us
- the all-new Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet"
- Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon
- Excerpts from The MGM Parade TV series
- New digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements
- Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
- Science-fiction movie trailer gallery
- Languages: English & Français
- Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: G
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - French
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: Deleted Scenes, Lost Footage
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- "Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us"
- "Amazing!: Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet"
- "Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens, Walter Pidgeon & Anne Francis|
|Performer:||Earl Holliman, Jack Kelly, Richard Anderson, George D. Wallace, James Drury, Harry Harvey, Jr., Bob Dix & Jimmie Thompson|
|Featured:||Robby the Robot|
|Directed by||Fred M. Wilcox|
|Edited by||George Folsey, Jr. & Ferris Webster|
|Screenwriting by||Cyril Hume|
|Composition by||Bebe Barron & Louis Barron|
|Produced by||Nicholas Nayfack|
|Director of Photography:||George J. Folsey|
"...Sci-fi classic....[Nielsen does] a man's-gotta-do-what-a-man's-gotta-do..." -- Rating: A-
"Filmed in CinemaScope and color and given a lofty sci-fi budget for its day....[A] perennially popular outer space variation on Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST..."
"[A]n irresistible blend of the sublime and the silly....[With] magnificent galazy scapes...[and[ colorful futuristic interiors..."
5 stars out of 5 -- "FORBIDDEN PLANET is a feast for the eyes....This definitive Science Fiction movie has really never looked better..."
"Over 50 years on, FORBIDDEN PLANET still looks like the future....An oddity that would change the face of science-fiction on film."
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] sci-fi landmark....[With] ambitious FX and an innovative electro-score..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Forbidden Planet is the granddaddy of tomorrow, a pioneering work whose ideas and style would be reverse-engineered into many cinematic space voyages to come. Leslie Nielsen plays the commander who brings his spacecruiser crew to the green-skied world that's home to Dr. Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), his daughter (Anne Francis)...and to a mysterious terror. Featuring sets of extraordinary scale and the first all-electronic musical soundscape in film history, Forbidden Planet is in a movie orbit all its own.
- Color by Eastmancolor. Shot in CinemaScope.
- "Electronic tonalities" by Louis and Bebe Barron.
- Joshua Meador, who worked on the special effects team, was loaned to MGM by Walt Disney Productions.
- The story is loosely based on Shakespeare's classic play "The Tempest."
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 518 ratings.
Forbidden Planet-after this movie every little boy wanted a Robbie the Robot and every teen-aged boy wanted an Anne Francis-both for obvious reasons.
Commander Adams (Leslie Nielson) and his crew arrive at an earth colony established years earlier only to find the only survivors are Dr. Morbius (Walter Pidgeon) and his daughter Altairia (Anne Francis). They are doing well with the help of Robbie the Robot, a machine built by Morbius despite his lack of education in robotics. The rest of the party were killed by some evil force years earlier. We also discover the planet was home to the Krell, an advanced race that disappeared suddenly 200,000 years earlier.
The mystery gradually unravels in this classic psychological sic-fi
This movie is a Great movie.My husband saw this movie for the first time a long time back and told me about it.Then we rented it many times and it became a family favorite.
We now own it,and we watch it with our grandchildren!It's truly a classic film for all.
- Sales Rank: 28,312
- UPC: 012569691223
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Top ranking DVD:
- NBC News - Deep Throat: Full Story of Watergate (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Rockford Files - Complete Series (22-DVD) ~ $34.48 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- #1 Cheerleader Camp (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE