- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: G
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - French
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: Deleted Scenes, Lost Footage
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- "Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us"
- "Amazing!: Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet"
- "Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Leslie Nielsen &
George D. Wallace,
Harry Harvey, Jr.,
Bob Dix &
Robby the Robot
Fred M. Wilcox
George Folsey, Jr. &
Bebe Barron &
Director of Photography:
George J. Folsey
Entertainment Weekly - 09/16/1994
"...Sci-fi classic....[Nielsen does] a man's-gotta-do-what-a-man's-gotta-do..." -- Rating: A-
USA Today - 08/01/1997
"Filmed in CinemaScope and color and given a lofty sci-fi budget for its day....[A] perennially popular outer space variation on Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST..."
Premiere - 12/01/2006
"[A]n irresistible blend of the sublime and the silly....[With] magnificent galazy scapes...[and[ colorful futuristic interiors..."
Ultimate DVD - 08/01/2007
5 stars out of 5 -- "FORBIDDEN PLANET is a feast for the eyes....This definitive Science Fiction movie has really never looked better..."
Empire - 08/01/2008
"Over 50 years on, FORBIDDEN PLANET still looks like the future....An oddity that would change the face of science-fiction on film."
Total Film - 11/01/2010
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] sci-fi landmark....[With] ambitious FX and an innovative electro-score..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Collectible tin package includes the 50th Anniversary Two DVD Edition of Forbidden Planet, plus a Robby the Robot figure and collector cards. Includes remastered and restored version of the science fiction classic, plus ALMOST SIX HOURS of bonus features! Also includes 1957 MGM feature film, The Invisible Boy.
Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST is transformed in this landmark science-fiction film. Spacemen travel to a planet ruled by Dr. Edward Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), who has built a kingdom with his daughter and obedient robot Robby. The good doctor is plagued by his mad quest for knowledge through his "brain booster" machine, and by Freudian "monsters from the id" as his daughter discovers other men and learns to kiss.
Description by Warner Home Video:
Forbidden Planet: Ultimate Collector's Edition
This 1956 cult classic, regarded as one of the most influential science fiction movies ever made, now has an all new Ultimate Collector's Edition featuring remastered film and audio. Loaded with hours of bonuses, vintage memorabilia, a Robby the Robot replica, and collectible packaging, this all new edition is ready for the Sci-Fi fanatic.
Essential Cinema |
Family (General) |
Robots / Cyborgs |
- Color by Eastmancolor. Shot in CinemaScope.
- "Electronic tonalities" by Louis and Bebe Barron.
- Joshua Meador, who worked on the special effects team, was loaned to MGM by Walt Disney Productions.
- The story is loosely based on Shakespeare's classic play "The Tempest."
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.