- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 21, 2013
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
In the last days of the Vietnam War, U.S. navy fighter pilots aboard an aircraft carrier have become disillusioned with the way the war is going and the pointless missions they are required to fly. Because the authorities have forbidden them from bombing strategic spots during the Paris peace talks, ace pilot Lt. Jake 'Cool Hand' Grafton (Brad Johnson) and his partner, a cynical veteran bombardier named Cole (Willem Dafoe), decide to take matters into their own hands. As they plan a daring raid on the People's Resistance Park in downtown Hanoi (where the Viet Cong display captured U.S. artillery), Grafton and Cole find themselves torn between their loyalty to their commanding officer (Danny Glover) and their sense of personal honor. Based on the novel by Stephen Coonts.
Family (General) |
High Flying |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by Technicolor.
- Hanoi Matte Painting by Matte World; Hanoi Miniatures by Donald Pennington, Inc.; Model Aircraft by Eaglery Movie Stunt Models;
Animation and Additional Opticals by Available Light.
- Filmed on location on the island of Kauai in Hawaii, in Panavision.
- Made with the cooperation of the Department of Defense and the Department of the Navy.
- John Milius is best known for directing the classic surf film "Big Wednesday" and co-writing the screenplay for "Apocalypse Now."
- The novel "Flight of the Intruder," by Stephen Coonts, was on the "New York Times" best-seller list for 28 weeks.