- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 21, 2013
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Paramount Catalog
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Theatrical Trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Samantha Eggar &
Alan Ladd, Jr. &
USA Today - 01/23/1998
"...[THE PHANTOM] delivers the shivers..."
Variety - 06/10/1996
"...A pleasingly astute sense of its place in the great scheme of things pulp....[The film] brings a light touch to appealingly old-fashioned action material..."
Los Angeles Times - 06/07/1996
"...Cheerful and sweet-natured..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 06/07/1996
"...It uses the visual materials of 1930s pulp fiction, adds a touch of film noir, and paints everything in a palette of reds, browns, golden yellows, creams, greens, blacks -- and purples, of course....Smashingly entertaining..."
A lavish action-adventure of swashbuckling romance and mystery based on the popular comic-strip superhero created by Lee Falk. Kit Walker (Billy Zane), a.k.a. the Phantom, must rescue a rich heiress and (Kristy Swanson) prevent a vicious brotherhood of pirates and a ruthless business mogul from bringing an ancient prophecy of power to pass.
Set in the 1930s, this film adaptation of Lee Falk's comic strip brings to life the purple-suited, jungle-dwelling Phantom. What the Phantom lacks in superpowers and gadgetry, he makes up for in courage and heroism.
Here, The Phantom is pitted against villainous Xander Drax, a expensive-suited criminal mastermind, who is desperately trying to acquire three skulls, each of which is located in a different part of the world. When united, the skulls give their owner magical powers. The Phantom, along with plucky displaced New Yorker Diana Palmer, set out to stop Drax -- leading to hair-raising, death-defying adventures for the brave pair.
But can they thwart the clever Drax before it's too late'
- A Village Roadshow Pictures Production.
- Printed on Eastman Kodak film; prints by DeLuxe. Shot in Panavision.
- Shot on location in Los Angeles, Thailand, and at Warner Roadshow Movie World Studios - Gold Coast Australia.
- Released theatrically in the USA June 7, 1996.
- Soundtrack available on Milan Records.
- Jim Henson's Creature Shop created the Special Phantom Costume Elements.
- Special Creative Props and Puppets were designed and created by Chris Walas, Inc. Michelle Lyman, Tristan Maduro, and Bruce Barlow.
- Copyright 1996 Paramount Pictures.