The Very Best of Prestige: Prestige 60th Anniversary (2-CD)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$11 (58% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
Format: CD (2 Discs)
sku: PRS 31239
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 24, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Prestige
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Subconscious-Lee - Lee Konitz / Lennie Tristano
- 2.I'm in the Mood for Love - James Moody
- 3.I Want to Be Happy - Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell
- 4.Blue Monk - Thelonious Monk
- 5.Airegin - Miles Davis
- 6.Django - The Modern Jazz Quartet
- 7.Tenor Madness - Sonny Rollins
- 8.St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
- 9.If I Were a Bell - Miles Davis Quintet
- 10.My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis
- 11.Hey Now [RVG Remaster] - Red Garland Trio
- 12.I Love You - John Coltrane
- 13.Why Was I Born? - Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane / John Coltrane / Kenny Burrell
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Very Saxy - Coleman Hawkins / Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis / Arnett Cobb / Buddy Tate
- 2.Lotus Blossom - Kenny Dorham
- 3.Hittin' the Jug - Gene Ammons
- 4.March on, March On - Oliver Nelson
- 5.Les - Eric Dolphy
- 6.Plum Blossom, The - Yusef Lateef
- 7.Three for Dizzy - Roland Kirk / Rahsaan Roland Kirk
- 8.Soul Shoutin' - Shirley Scott / Stanley Turrentine
- 9.Misty - Richard "Groove" Holmes
- 10.Waltz for Geri - Pat Martino
- 11.Fried Bananas - Dexter Gordon
- 12.More Today Than Yesterday - Charles Earland
Personnel: Kenny Burrell, Melvin Sparks, Pat Martino, Billy Bauer , Gene Edwards (guitar); Yusef Lateef (flute); Rahsaan Roland Kirk (manzello, tenor saxophone, siren); Eric Dolphy, Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis , Gene Ammons, Houston Person, John Coltrane, Oliver Nelson, Arnett Cobb, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Stanley Turrentine, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Freddie Hubbard, Richard Allen Williams M.D., Leppe Sundevall, Kenny Dorham, Miles Davis, Virgil Jones (trumpet); John G. Lewis, Horace Silver, Thore Swanerud, Jaki Byard, Lennie Tristano, Red Garland, Richard Wyands, Thelonious Monk, Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris , Bud Powell (piano); Richard "Groove" Holmes, Trudy Pitts, Charles Earland (organ); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Grassella Oliphant, Mitch Fine, Jack Noren, Idris Muhammad, Jimmie Smith , Kenny Clarke, Andy Taylor , Albert "Tootie" Heath, Lex Humphries, Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Haynes, Art Blakey, Arthur Edgehill, Shelly Manne (drums); Abdu Johnson, Ray Barretto, Buddy Caldwell (congas); Vance Anderson (bongos).
Liner Note Author: Nick Phillips.
Recording information: New York, NY (01/11/1949-12/15/1969); Stockholm, Sweden (01/11/1949-12/15/1969); Van Gelder Studios, Hackensack, NJ (01/11/1949-12/15/1969).
Photographers: Esmond Edwards; Jerry Stoll; Lee Tanner; Herman Leonard; Chuck Stewart; Bob Parent.
Sharing the honors with Blue Note Records, Prestige has been the premier American jazz label for several decades, and this 60TH ANNIVERSARY collection provides a superlative overview of the label's most artistically and commercially significant successes. When the bebop and cool schools were the avant-garde of their era, Prestige recorded Lennie Tristano (with Lee Konitz) and Bud Powell; when hard bop was in flower, they released definitive discs by Miles Davis and John Coltrane. In the '60s, there were even newer genres, such as soul-jazz (Charles Earland, Groove Holmes), free jazz (Eric Dolphy), and the beginnings of world fusion (Yusef Lateef), not to forget the mainstream (Kenny Dorham and the perennial Dexter Gordon). For casual fans, jazz novices, and devotees craving an imaginary soundtrack to Prestige's history, 60TH ANNIVERSARY is darn near essential.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE