- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: January 27, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Hip-O Select
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.You Got to Have a Mother for Me, Pt. 1
- 2.The Little Groove Maker Me
- 3.You Got to Have a Mother for Me
- 4.I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It M
- 5.I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It M
- 6.I Love You
- 7.Maybe I'll Understand
- 8.Any Day Now
- 9.I'm Shook
- 10.The Popcorn
- 11.The Chicken
- 12.Mother Popcorn (You Got to Have a Mother for Me), Pt. 1
- 13.Mother Popcorn (You Got to Have a Mother for Me), Pt. 2
- 14.Lowdown Popcorn
- 15.Top of the Stack
- 16.World, Pt. 1
- 17.World, Pt. 2
- 18.Let a Man Come in and Do the Popcorn, Pt. 1
- 20.I'm Not Demanding, Pt. 1/I'm Not Demanding, Pt. 2
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.It's Christmas Time, Pt. 1
- 2.It's Christmas Time, Pt. 2
- 3.Ain't It Funky Now, Pt. 1
- 4.Ain't It Funky Now, Pt. 2
- 5.Popcorn with a Feeling
- 6.Part Two (Let a Man Come in and Do the Popcorn)
- 7.Gittin' a Little Hipper, Pt. 2
- 8.The Brother Got to Rap, Pt. 1
- 9.The Brother Got to Rap, Pt. 2
- 10.It's a New Day, Pts. 1 & 2
- 11.Georgia on My Mind
- 12.Funky Drummer, Pt. 1
- 13.Funky Drummer, Pt. 2
- 14.Let It Be Me
- 15.Talkin Loud and Saying Nothin', Pts. 1 & 2
- 17.Brother Rapp, Pts. 1 & 2
- 18.A Man Has to Go Back to the Crossroads
- 19.The Drunk
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: James Razor Brown (vocals, organ); Alphonso "Country" Kellum, Eddie Setser, Jimmy Nolen, Kenny Poole, Arthur Adams (guitar); St. Clair Pinckney (flute, baritone saxophone); Jimmy McGary (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Pee Wee Ellis (alto saxophone, organ); Mike Andres (alto saxophone); Eldee Williams, Les Asch, Maceo Parker (tenor saxophone); Larry Dickson (baritone saxophone); Joe Dupars, Waymon Reed, Conte Candoli, Jerry Conrad, D.A. Brisbois, Marie Speziale, Richard "Kush" Griffith, Frank Brown, Paul Hubinon (trumpet); William Hinshaw, Henry Sigismonti (French horn); Paul Piller, Fred Wesley, Dick Leith (trombone); David Matthews (bass trombone, piano); Levi Rasbury (valve trombone); Frank Vincent, James Vaughn (piano); Don Randi, Timothy Hedding (organ); David Frerichs (vibraphone); Clyde Stubblefield, Ben Barrett, Earl Palmer , Jon Keliehor, John Starks, Beau Dollar Bowman (drums); Ron Selico (bongos); Carmen Jr. DeLeone (percussion).
Audio Remasterer: Seth Foster.
Liner Note Author: Alan Leeds.
Arrangers: David Matthews ; Nate Jones; James Razor Brown ; H.B. Barnum; Pee Wee Ellis.
This two-disc set brings together all the singles James Brown released in 1969 and '70, one of the Godfather's most prolific and artistically fruitful periods. By '69 Brown was deep into hard funk, and had mastered the tight-knit, polyrhythmic arrangements that characterize his best tracks. It's not only that the set contains "Mother Popcorn," "Funky President," and "Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothin'," it's that Brown and his infallible band play with ferocious energy and consummate skill on even the loosest jam tracks. Mr. Dynamite's yelps and screeches still have the power to rearrange one's molecules. The inclusion of discarded singles from the era and hard-to-find promotional mixes make this a must for collectors as well.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 101,588
- UPC: 602517873599
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items