Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.49 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
King Curtis played on sessions for hundreds of artists such as Aretha Franklin and Nat King Cole. His most popular songs, originally recorded for Enjoy Records, are gathered together in this collection that features, "Soul Twist," his highest chart hit.
- 1.Soul Twist
- 2.Big Dipper
- 3.Camp Meeting
- 4.Groovin' With The King
- 5.Midnight Blue
- 6.What I Say (vocal)
- 7.What I Say (instrumental)
- 8.I Know (vocal)
- 9.Sach O' Woe
- 10.Hot Potatoes
Personnel: King Curtis (tenor saxophone).
Curtis Ousley, known to the world as tenor saxophonist King Curtis, cut these tasty tracks for the Enjoy record label in 1962 with a session band billed as "the Noble Knights." Because the Twist was really "in," the entire session has an irrepressible R&B-to-rock & roll quality perfectly suitable for freeway driving, food preparation, dancing, drinking, casual sex and moderate substance abuse. If any of these activities lead to trouble simply blame it on the band, for in addition to the King's beefy tenor sax there are solidly exciting tones from electric bassist Jimmy Lewis, electric guitarist Billy Butler, pianist George Stubbs, drummer Ray Lucas, groove organist Ernie Hayes and, on "Camp Meeting," harmonica man Buddy Lucas. In addition to a soulful vocal on "I Know," King Curtis does his best Ray Charles impersonation during part one of "What'd I Say"; part two is a lively throw-down instrumental jam, as is the funky "Hot Potatoes," also known as "Home Cookin'." Most certainly some of the hottest dance music heard in the U.S.A. during the Cuban Missile Crisis. ~ arwulf arwulf
King CurtisHave Tenor Sax, Will Blow / Live At Small's Paradise (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,423
- UPC: 090431515624
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY