- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 25, 2002
- Label: RCA
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Canon in D major, instrumental arrangement
- 2.Gayane Suite, for orchestra No. 3: Sabre Dance
- 3.Concertino for Flute & Piano (or orchestra), Op. 107
- 4.Song of the Seashore, for Japanese folk ensemble
- 5.M‚ditation, for violin & orchestra (or other arrangement) (from opera "Tha‹s")
- 6.Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV 1067: Minuet & Badinerie
- 7.Dolly, suite for piano, 4 hands or orchestra, Op. 56: Berceuse
- 8.Carnival of Venice for flute & orchestra Op. 77
- 9.Clair de lune, for orchestra or other arrangement (from "Suite Bergamasque" for piano), L. 75/3
- 10.Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314 (K. 285d): Rondeau: Allegro
- 11.Sonata for flute & keyboard in E flat major, BWV 1031: Siciliana
- 12.Orfeo ed Euridice (Italian version), opera in 3 acts, Wq. 30: Dance of the Blessed Spirits
- 13.Peer Gynt Suite for orchestra (or piano or piano, 4 hands) No. 1, Op. 46: Morning
- 14.Tale of Tsar Saltan, The (Skazka o Tsare Saltane), opera in 4 acts with a prologue: The Flight of the Bumblebee
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.My Heart Will Go On (from the film "Titanic")
- 2.condor pasa, El
- 3.I Will Always Love You (for the film The Bodyguard)
- 4.Ashokan Farewell
- 5.Garota de Ipanema, song (a.k.a. "The Girl from Ipanema")
- 6.Wind Of Change
- 7.Annie's Song
- 8.The Wind beneath My Wings
- 9.Memory, song (for the musical Cats): Memory
- 11.Tango del Fuego
- 12.Beauty and the Beast (for Disney's Beauty and the Beast)
- 13.Can You Feel the Love Tonight? (for Disney's The Lion King)
- 14.Shenandoah, folk song
- 15.Waltzing Matilda, folk song
- 16.Londonderry Air (Danny Boy), folk song
Personnel includes: James Galway (flute); The Galway Orchestra; London Telefilmonic Orchestra; National Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Personnel: James Galway (flute); Ivan Gilliland, Mitch Dalton, Ray Russell (guitar); Ayako Shinozaki (harp); Susumu Miyashita (koto); David Alberman, Clio Gould (violin); Chris Haigh (fiddle); Frank Gallagher, Levine Andrade (viola); Andrew Shulman (cello); Mike Mower (flute); David Downes (Uilleann pipe, concertina); Alan Dunn (accordion); Mark Nightingale (trombone); Phillip Moll (piano, harpsichord); Neil Angilley, Phil Coulter (piano); Dave Cooke, Kevin Thompson , Dominic Barlow, Dave Arch (keyboards); Dave Bryant (drums, percussion); Brendan Monaghan , Ralph Salmins, Ian Thomas (drums); Bosco DeOliveira (congas); Dave Pattman (bongos, cowbells, guiro).
Recording information: 1976/1999.
Photographer: Joanne Savio.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Tokyo String Orchestra; The Sheldon Kurland Strings; The London Telefilmonic Orchestra; The Nashville String Machine; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; The Chieftains; Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Galway Pops Orchestra; Munich Radio Orchestra; National Philharmonic Orchestra; Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
Arrangers: David Downes; Frank Gallagher; Lee; James Galway ; Mike Mower; Phil Coulter.
RCA Victor's 2002 The Very Best of James Galway is a comprehensive overview of James Galway's prolific career, touching not only on his easy listening pop crossover tunes, but his classical pieces. In fact, it does something very clever: it devotes a disc, a full half of the collection, to his classical works, with the second disc to his smooth, lovely covers of pop hits. This way, the full scope of Galway's talents are showcased on one compilation, but they're also kept separated, so you can hear one side or the other, depending on mood. Some may find a certain favorite or two missing, but overall, this is an excellent summation of Galway's RCA recordings, which did find him at a peak. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 71,267
- UPC: 090266395026
- Shipping Weight: 0.23/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items