Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 31, 2009
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: 20th Century Fox
2-Disc Set - Checkpoint, Sensormatic
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.20
- DTS Master Audio 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround 4.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin - Optional
- Subtitles - Sing-A-Long Karaoke (English only) - Optional
Additional Release Material:
- Additional Audio Material - Songs-Only Option
- Audio Commentary - Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization President Ted Chapin and Musical Theater Writer Gerard Alessandrini
Additional Release Material:
- Additional Footage - Extended "Road Show Version" of SOUTH PACIFIC
- Audio Commentary - Film Historian Richard Barrios
- Documentary - PASSION, PREJUDICE AND SOUTH PACIFIC: CREATING AN AMERICAN MASTERPIECE
- "Making of SOUTH PACIFIC"
- "Mitzy Gaynor Screen Test"
- Vintage Stage Excerpts Performed by Original Broadway Stars Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza: "Some Enchanted Evening" and "A Wonderful Guy"
- "60 Minutes Exclusive: The Tales of the South Pacific" with Diane Sawyer and Writer James Michener
- Original Theatrical Trailers
- Fox Movietone News: "SOUTH PACIFIC on the Screen - A Perfect Hit" and "State Department Confers High Honor on SOUTH PACIFIC"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1958 -
Total Film - 01/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's the delicious, good-hearted exuberance of this WWII romantic musical, as well as the Rodgers & Hammerstein score, that grab you."
A Rodgers and Hammerstein classic revolving around a forbidden love affair between a native girl and a young American sailor on a Pacific island during World War II. Songs include "Some Enchanted Evening," "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy," and "Bali H'ai." Academy Award Nominations: 3. Academy Awards: Best Sound.
Rodgers and Hammerstein's Academy Award -winning "South Pacific" is a towering musical masterpiece and the tender love story of a naïve young Navy nurse (Mitzi Gaynor) and an older French Plantation owner (Rossano Brazzi) on a U.S. occupied South Sea island. The breathtaking score is highlighted by some of the most romantic songs ever written: "Some Enchanted Evening," "There is Nothin' Like a Dame," "Younger Than Springtime" and more. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, South Pacific ranks among the most celebrated of Rodgers and Hammerstein's acclaimed musicals.
Source: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Love blossoms on a paradisical South Seas island during World War II in this splashy screen production of the hit Broadway musical. A Navy nurse falls for a French planter, an American lieutenant woos a fetching native girl and an assortment of sailors lust after female military personnel. All this amorous activity, with the attendant problems of interracial romance, provide fodder for the some of Rodger & Hammerstein's most famous and well-loved tunes, including "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair," "Bali Ha'i," and "Got to Be Taught to Hate."
- Filmed in Technicolor. Originally presented Todd-AO and CinemaScope.
- Estimated budget of $5 million. Location shots filmed in Hawaii.
- Additional cast members: Floyd Simmons (Harbison); Candace Lee (Ngana); Warren Hsieh (Jerome); Galvan De Leon (Sub Chef); Robert Jacobs (Communications Man); Archie Savage (Native Chief); Darleen Engle (Nurse-Dancer); Richard Cutting (Admiral Kester)
- Giorgio Tozzi was credited for dubbing in Ezio Pinza's voice. John Kerr's vocals were dubbed by Bill Lee; Juanita Hall's were dubbed by Muriel Smith (uncredited). Hall also appeared in the Broadway production.
- Additional orchestrations by Bernard Mayers. For the film version a new song, "My Girl Back Home," was added to the original score.
- Available to buy in the UK.
- Copyright 1994 CBS/Fox Co.