Earl Hines Earl Hines Plays Cole Porter
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$17.29 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.69 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 29, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: New World Records
JazzTimes - 10/96, p.123"...what we have here are examples of true improvisation, not built on previously established routines, but issuing like a stream of consciousness....The strong, muscled touch dominates, of course, but his keyboard mastery extends to lyrically dynamic contrasts with the strongly attacked passages."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: Earl Hines (piano).
Recorded at RCA Studio, New York, New York on April 16, 1974. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.
Personnel: Earl Hines (piano).
Liner Note Author: Dan Morgenstern.
Recording information: RCA Studio, New York, NY (04/16/1974).
This CD reissue of an Earl Hines solo piano session originally made for the Australian Swaggie label is a bit unusual. Hines had apparently not played any of the seven songs (which include such standards as "Night And Day," "What Is This Thing Called Love" and "I Get A Kick Out Of You") previously, nor would they enter his repertoire after the session. No matter, Hines interprets the compositions as if he had been familiar with them for decades. His chancetaking improvisations have their hair raising moments (particularly when he suspends time) and are quite exciting. A superb effort by the immortal pianist who at 71 still seemed to be improving. ~ Scott Yanow
The House That Trane Built: The Best Of Impulse Records (CD)
The Jazz Giants Play Frank Loesser: Heart and Soul (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE