Earl Hines Jazz Is His Old Lady and My Old Man
- Released: November 24, 2003
- Label: Acrobat
- 1.Jazz Is His Old Lady And My Old Man
- 2.Just Squeeze Me (But Tease Me)
- 3.Yellow Days
- 4.Deed I Do
- 5.They'll Be Some Changes Made
- 6.Blue Skies
- 7.Hey Love
- 8.Make It Easy On Yourself
Personnel: Earl Hines (piano); Marva Josie (vocals); Skeeter Best (guitar); Tom Griffin (clarinet, alto saxophone); Rudy Rutherford (clarinet, tenor saxophone); John Letman (trumpet); Benny Morton (trombone); Edward T. Graham (drums).
Liner Note Author: Stanley Dance.
Recording information: RCA Studios, New York, NY.
Photographers: Norman Blagman; Jim Cummins.
Arranger: Buck Clayton.
Earl Hines is joined by singer Marva Josie for this late-'70s studio date, though the album essentially features Josie more prominently than the leader. Hines became impressed upon meeting the singer and recorded with her on a number of sessions between 1970 and 1981, though she seems to have dropped from sight since Hines' death. Buck Clayton arranged the title track, which begins with a little humorous banter between the pianist and the vocalist. Josie's efforts are an acquired taste, as she drags a bit in "Just Squeeze Me," but swinging with authority in "'Deed I Do." The session takes a turn downhill with the limpid Burt Bacharach ballad "Make It Easy on Yourself" and the nauseating pop song "Feelings," with the musicians probably doing their best to keep from laughing aloud. The dance beat arrangement of "Candy" is little better. Tenor saxophonist Rudy Rutherford and alto saxophonist Tom Griffin (both of whom double on clarinet), trombonist Benny Morton and guitarist Skeeter Best are among the supporting musicians. This disc falls short of expectations so it can not be considered an essential acquisition by fans of Earl Hines; it is surprising that Acrobat bothered to reissue this deservedly obscure Catalyst LP in 2003 as a CD. ~ Ken Dryden
The House That Trane Built: The Best Of Impulse Records (CD)
The 1950s British Hit Parades: The Hits We Missed (Live) (CD)
$9.95 Super Savings
1957 British Hit Parade: The B Sides Part 1 (4-CD)
$15.69 Super Savings
1957 British Hit Parade: The B Sides Part 2 (4-CD)
$15.69 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Grand River Crossings: Motown & Motor City Inspirations (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE