Buster Brown New King of The Blues - Golden Classics
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Georgia-born Buster Brown was a harmonica player who was equally at home playing the Blues as well as Folk, Pop, and standard R&B material. This collection showcases the many talents of this harpist and vocalist, who enjoyed much success on the R&B charts in the '50s.
- 1.Fannie Mae
- 2.John Henry
- 4.Louis Blues
- 5.When Things Go Wrong
- 6.Lost In A Dream
- 7.Gonna Love My Baby
- 8.I Got The Blues When It Rains
- 9.Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?
- 10.Don't Dog Your Woman
- 11.Blue Berry Hill
- 13.I'm Goin' But I'll Be Back
- 14.Good News
- 15.Raise A Ruskus Tonight
- 16.Doctor Brown
Includes original release liner notes by Jack Walker.
If blues musicians took up residency in Vegas during the late '50s, it might come out sounding like this. Brown's gleeful run through myriad blues related styles (gospel, R&B, doo wop, New Orleans, early rock & roll) casts a vaudevillian sheen over many of the 16 tracks here, placing the performance squarely in the realm of Louis Jordan's own showy style. The fact Brown had a very brief hour in the sun with his unexpected 1959 hit "Fannie Mae" further indicates his pop approach to blues probably was better suited to the lounges of the chitlin circuit than the main venues of blues and rock & roll. His almost perfunctory versions of war horses like "St. Louis Blues" and "Blueberry Hill" reveal the downside the situation. But he does have his moments, particularly when he plies a hard, Chicago blues groove … la Little Walter on cuts like "Don't Dog Your Woman"; his harmonica sound borrows from both Walter and Sonny Terry while his singing is punctuated with timely whoops taken straight from Terry's animated vocal style. Even with more than just a few bright moments here, the good amount of watered down material ultimately makes this Brown collection a secondary choice next to prime titles by Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Wynonie Harris, and even Big Jay McNeely. ~ Stephen Cook
Collectables Blues Collection, Volume 2 (Cassette)
$1.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 181
- UPC: 090431511022
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 on SALE
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
R&B: Classic Music Categories:
Johnny Ace Memorial Album (CD) ~
$6.74 Super Savings
- LaVern Baker Bob Ting a Ling (CD) ~ $8.98
- LaVern Baker Legend At Her Best! (2-CD Box Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- LaVern Baker Precious Memories... Sings Gospel / LaVern Baker Sings Bessie Smith (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Hank Ballard & The Midnighters Very Best of Hank Ballard & The Midnighters (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE